Musical concert celebrates freedom of expression after court clearance
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Sunday gave clearance to a musical concert in the capital after it was cancelled at the last moment due to security reasons.
Earlier in the day, the Delhi Police didn`t grant permission to hold the concert titled "Sounds of Freedom" at the spacious NSIC Grounds, Okhla, citing security problems due to the upcoming polls.
The organisers, Teamwork Arts, moved the Delhi High Court and sought the court`s direction for instructing police to allow them to hold the concert.
Justice Hima Kohli allowed their plea and ordered Delhi Police to maintain law and order during the concert.
The court order came after the organiser assured it that not more than 1,500 people will be present at the venue at one time.
The concert that was to begin at 1 p.m., began at 6 p.m. after the court clearance.
Organisers were happy with the court decision and said it reaffirmed their faith in the judiciary.
"This is a thumping win for freedom of expression," said Sanjoy Roy, managing director, Teamwork Arts.
"Thanks to the wisdom of the court, the musical concert can celebrate the very cause to which it is dedicated," he added, saying that the verdict validates our belief in the Indian judicial system, and its unstinted support for the fundamental rights of our citizens.
The concert highlighted issues like gender bias, internet freedom and Maoist problems, with artistes from India and abroad using music as a medium to address pertinent issues.
Kerala`s alternative rock band "Avial", Egypt`s hip-hop musicians "Arabian Knightz", a music and dance band "Bastar Band" from Chhattisgarh and Irish singer Bob Geldof performed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Just chill! Preity Zinta, Sussanne Khan bond over dinner
- Jab They Met! Kareena Kapoor Khan's awesome reply to Shahid Kapoor!
- Bizarre! People who watch more porn become more religious, says study
- Here’s what Emraan Hashmi’s wife does every time he kisses his co-stars on screen
- Salma Agha to get lifetime Indian visa, say MHA sources
- Exposed! Baba Sehgal reveals shocking truth about Bollywood music industry – Details inside
- DJ Afrojack is coming to 'Rock the house' in 'Tomorrowland 2016'! Details inside
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- Too funny! You can't miss this latest song 'Fake Ishq' from Akshay Kumar's 'Housefull 3' – Watch
- Was intimidated by Amit Trivedi: 'Baby Doll' singer Kanika Kapoor