Musicians pay tribute to `stalwart of music world` Manna Dey
New Delhi: Hindi film music industry personalities today remembered playback legend Manna Dey as the "last voice of the golden era" and "stalwart of the music world" who enthralled generations with his romantic ballads and fast-paced modern numbers.
Paying tributes to the versatile singer, tabla maestro Zakir Hussain posted on Twitter, "Last of the great voice of golden Bollywood has moved on. Manna Da will be missed and forever revered."
Singer Usha Uthup, who performed with Dey many a times, said he was one of his kind.
"I am sad but at the same time happy too because he is relieved from the pain he was undergoing from so many days. Indeed a relief for him but unbelievable and shock for all of us... There was Mohd Rafi, Kishore kumar but he was a one of his kind. I can`t think of him as a past because I have done amazing shows together and it was such a learning in itself. Such a versatile singer he was," she said.
New age singers like Sunidhi Chauhan and Kailash Kher mourned the demise of the 94-year-old musical genius.
Lyricist Javed Akhtar, who did not get the chance to work with the legendary singer, said he is known to him more as a voice than a person.
"When I started writing songs by that time he had almost retired. I met him couple of times but I can`t claim that I know him as a person. I have been his great admirer like many others. Though he retired many years back, but today hearing about his death is a bit of shock. He has tremendous control over classical music."
Sunidhi Chauhan said, " Heartbroken at Manna Da`s shocking demise."
"The world is a darker place, as one of the greatest musical lights to ever shine, has left us. May the immortal Manna De-saab rest in peace," Vishal Dadlani.
"Manna Dey the legend is no more, and his contribution to music and films is unmatchable. RIP. Transformed from physical to Divine, prayers...," Kailash Kher posted.
Apart from Bengali and film music, Dey has also lent his voice for `Madhushala` composed by late Harivansh Rai Bachchan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shah Rukh Khan is a huge, humble star: Waluscha De Sousa
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- Rishi Kapoor spills the beans over son Ranbir Kapoor’s break-up with Katrina Kaif?
- Meet Tommy Singh aka Shahid Kapoor in 'Chitta Ve' from 'Udta Punjab'—Watch!
- Hrithik Roshan joins hand with transgender band for a cause
- Hrithik Roshan shares video where Katrina Kaif is singing! Watch it now
- Kesha legal battle: Singer releases her single post clash!
- Watch: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Punjabi swag in 'Tung Luk' from 'Sarbjit' will win your heart