Shamshad Begum had sung `Katiya Karoon` 50 years ago!
New Delhi: ‘Katiya Karoon’ from ‘Rockstar’ tugged at your heartstrings and the romantic number became a favourite of music lovers. But did you know that legendary singer Shamshad Begum, who died Wednesday, too had sung a song titled ‘Katiya Karoon’ in 1963!
Shamshad Begum was one of the first female playback singers of the Indian film industry, which has turned 100 this year. At 94, she was six years younger than Indian cinema - perhaps the oldest living member of filmdom.
It`s time to revisit her song ‘Katiya Karoon’, which not only gives a peak into the era when she mesmerised many with her voice, but also displays her versatility.
A peppy dance number, the folk number was picturised on actress Nishi in the 1963 black and white Punjabi movie ‘Pind Di Kurhi’, which was directed by Baldev R. Jhingan.
Dressed in a knee length skirt and kurti, Nishi danced carefree in the song, which had typical fun loving folk music, not to miss the Punjabi flavour in it.
Composed by Hansraj Behl, its beats were fast and Nishi`s `thumkas` make it an interesting watch even today.
The recent ‘Katiya karoon’ had a similar `mukhra` but a different `antara`. Sung by Harshdeep Kaur and Sapna Awasthi, it is basically a love song where the girl talks about her feelings for her lover.
In the 1940s and 1950s Shamshad Begum created a benchmark by singing hits like ‘Kabhi aar kabhi paar’, ‘Saiyan dil mein aana re’ and ‘Mere piya gaye Rangoon’. Her voice had a slight nasal tinge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Befikre' box office report, day 2: Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor starrer continues to impress audience
- Amitabh Bachchan starrer '102 Not Out' to go on floors next year!
- Geeta Basra, hubby Harbhajan Singh out on 'travel day' with daughter
- Dilip Kumar turns 94: It will be quiet birthday this time, says wife Saira Banu
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui opens up about working with Shah Rukh Khan in 'Raees'
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Aamir Khan’s ‘Dangal’ title track out and it’s awesome!
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil Hoon Main' song will make you fall in love all over again!
- Hrithik Roshan's new song 'Kaabil Hoon Main' is soft and soothing!
- Aamir Khan has something to say about ‘Dangal’ title track – Watch