Singers today have more space and work, says Shreya Ghoshal
Mumbai: Playback singer Shreya Ghoshal feels these days artists have a lot of space and work compared to earlier, when there were only a handful of singers.
Despite the fact that a lot of singers enter filmdom every year, Shreya says there is opportunity for everyone.
"I think today there is space and work available for everyone out here. Earlier the scenario was different. Like there was a time when there was monopoly, only two or three singers would get to sing...It was difficult that time," Shreya said in an interview here.
"But today the emphasis is on newness, novelty, so there is room for everyone," she said.
Though untrained singers try and become part of the industry, they get caught.
"Sometimes untrained voices too come in. But when they sing live...They get caught...As you know what the actual scene is. The good ones survive and will remain here," she said.
Shreya, who has given hit songs like `Zoobi Doobi`, `Shukhran Allah`, `Bairi Piya`, `Noor-E-Khuda`, `Tere Mast Mast Do Nain`, `Nainon Mein Sapna`, `Go Go Govinda`, `Ooh La La` and others, is happy the way her career has shaped up till now.
She has sung for upcoming films like `Aashiqui 2`, `Go Goa Gone` and `Happy New Year`.
"I am getting to sing good songs and I am happy that audience like it. I don`t know if this is the peak point (of my career) now because you can never tell anything when it comes to art, especially in the music world. Like what may work today may not click tomorrow," she said.
Shreya is all praise for the new bunch of talent in music industry like composers like Amit Trivedi, who has given music for `Dev D`, `Wake Up Sid`, `Udaan`, `Ishaqzaade`, `English Vinglish` and others.
She is also appreciative of singers Shalmali Kholgade, who sang `Pareshaan`, `Daaru Desi` and `Lat Lag Gayi`, Shilpa Rao who has to her credit songs like `Khuda Jaane`, `Yaariyaan`, `Allah Maaf Kare`, `Ishq Shava` and others, and Neeti Mohan, who has sung `Ishq Wala Love` and `Jiya Re`.
"I think they are all amazing. I keep learning from all of them subconsciously as I hear all kinds of music," she said.
Shreya, along with music director duo Vishal-Shekhar, will judge the first junior edition of `Indian Idol Junior`, launched by popular talent based reality show `Indian Idol`.
The singer feels today`s kids are way smarter and know how to face camera.
"Today kids are more advanced, smarter. When we came in reality show we were untrained in terms of facing television. That time TV was just starting out. We were nervous and shy. Today`s kids have seen it all," she said.
Shreya feels that during her time, singing as a career was looked down upon but today there are no such notions. The parents today know that there is a platform available for budding singers.
As a judge, Shreya believes in keeping the kids as grounded as they can, make them aware about their flaws and ensure they don`t get carried away with appreciation and applause.
Shreya is quite excited to work with music director duo Vishal-Shekhar. "They just keep pulling my leg. We get along well. They are incredibly talented, yet simple people," she said.
To be hosted by actress-anchor Mandira Bedi and TV actor Karan Wahi, `Indian Idol Junior` is likely to go on air in the first week of June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dubai takes Anil Kapoor's heart away
- Saif, Kareena off to Maldives for family vacation
- Farhan, 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team, to meet Milkha Singh
- 'P Se PM Tak' movie review- Long and uninspiring journey
- Pertinent to build toilets than temples or mosques: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- 'Empire' season 2 returns in September
- Vin Diesel shares 'Fast and Furious 8' unofficial poster
- Film fests good for spotlight: Budding Assamese filmmaker
- Documentary on A R Rahman screened at White House
- 'Baahubali' trailer to be out on June 1
- Cara Delevingne poses topless for jewellery ad
- I quite like being naked: Miranda Kerr
- Men watching porn less likely to enjoy sex with real-life partners
- December 11 is the most popular day of the year to conceive
- Now have 'aquagasm' with new 'shower' sex toy
- Gisele Bundchen goes topless again
- Jessica Simpson poses in seductive way on Instagram
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian poses nude
- Secret behind Kim K's nude photoshoot revealed
- Jennifer Lawrence draws eyeballs in new photo shoot
- Keira Knightley will go topless, but on condition
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone