Ustad Amjad Ali Khan to set up music academy in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan today said that he is planning to set up a music academy in Kerala.
Kerala government has offered all support to the institute planned to set up in Thiruvananthapuram, Khan said while delivering the keynote address on the occasion of the presentation of the prestigious `Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram` to veteran carnatic vocalist and composer V Dakshinamoorthy here.
"I always feel like home in Kerala since my very first arrival in the state. I discussed with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy about the proposed music institute and students. There will be some Sarod players in Kerala," he said.
The maestro is also participating in the four-day Swathi Dance and Music Festival commencing today.
Hailing Dakshinamoorthy for his decades long composing career, Khan said meeting such legends itself was a great honour.
The veteran musician, who composed thousands of songs, was still going strong at the age of 94, Khan added.
Speaking after presenting the award to Dakshinamoorthy, Chandy said the state government would render all support for Khan`s music institute which would attract music lovers across the country.
`Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram`, which carries a cash prize of one lakh and citation, is the highest award instituted by the state to honour musicians.
The award is instituted in the memory of 19th century composer-king Swathi Thirunal of erstwhile princely state of Travancore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Adult film actress Jessica Drake accuses Donald Trump of sexual misconduct
- Happy that protests against Karan Johar's movie are over: Madhur Bhandarkar on 'ADHM' row
- Children helping Angelina Jolie to rethink divorce tactics from Brad Pitt
- Here's how to get glowing skin this Diwali
- Shabana Azmi slammed Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis—Here's why
- Classical musicians are not entertainers: Amjad Ali Khan
- Taylor Swift to perform at Formula One concert!
- Arijit Singh's 'Nashe Si Chadh Gayi' from Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor starrer 'Befikre' will leave you tripping
- 'Enormous market for music in India'
- Shah Rukh Khan is our favourite, says British pop rock band 'The Vamps'