Conductor Seiji Ozawa to again take up baton
Tokyo: Orchestra conductor Seiji Ozawa, who cancelled his appearances almost a year ago because of his poor state of health, will return to the podium in August at a festival in the central Japanese city of Matsumoto, NHK television reported.
Ozawa will direct the opera ‘L`Enfant et les Sortileges’ by French composer Maurice Ravel as a featured part of the event, organizers of the Saito Kinen Classical Music Festival told NHK.
The 77-year-old Ozawa will direct the Saito Kinen Orchestra Aug 23, 25, 28 and 31 at the Matsumoto Center for Stage Arts in Nagano prefecture.
Ozawa, one of the world`s most renowned conductors, suspended his agenda of performances in March 2012 to regain his strength after his health began to fail.
The conductor was operated for esophageal cancer in 2010 and was later diagnosed with pneumonia on three occasions.
Ozawa has been general director of the annual Saito Kinen Festival since it was founded in 1992.
The event and the like-named orchestra were created to commemorate Japanese cellist and conductor Hideo Saito (1902-1974), teacher of Ozawa and other famous Japanese musicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- Have always been confident about my work: Richa Chadha
- Bored of saris, anarkalis on special occasions? Innovate
- Twitteratti want Captain America to turn 'gay'
- Music companies give commercial songs to their artists: Sonu Nigam
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Sonu Nigam's new song 'Crazy Dil' has got the cutest surprise appearance ever – Watch to know
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Kesha gets standing ovation after Billboard Awards performance