London: Queen fans have chosen ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ as the top lyric to mark the 65th birthday anniversary of Freddie Mercury and the 40th anniversary of the band.
An HMV poll of 3,000 fans revealed the chorus of the mega-hit ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ was voted as the band’s best ever lyric.
One in every five fans favoured the line “Don’t stop me now, I’m having such a good time, I’m having a ball”, which was penned by Mercury and featured as the twelfth track on the band’s 1978 album Jazz, reaching number nine on the charts on 26th January 1979.
“Whilst you’d imagine there might be more obvious choices, we shouldn’t be too surprised that a lyric from Don’t Stop Me Now is a clear favourite among fans – it’s such a feel-good, life-affirming song,” the Telegraph quoted Gennaro Castaldo of HMV as saying.
The top 10 lyrics chosen by fans were from the songs:
1. Don’t Stop Me Now – “Don’t stop me now, I’m having such a good time, I’m having a ball”
2. The Show Must Go On – “My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies, fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die. I can fly my friends”
3. Innuendo – “You can be anything you want to be, just turn yourself into anything you think you could ever be”
4. Bohemian Rhapsody – “Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me”
5. Let Us Cling Together – “In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned”
6. We Are The Champions – “But it’s been no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise. I consider it a challenge before the whole human race, and I ain’t gonna lose”
7. Killer Queen – “But it’s been no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise. I consider it a challenge before the whole human race, and I ain’t gonna lose”
8. Friends Will Be Friends – “When you’re through with life and all hope is lost, hold out your hand ‘cos friends will be friends right ‘til the end”
9.Tie Your Mother Down – “Get your party gown. Get your pigtail down. Get your heart beatin’ baby”
10. Stone Cold Crazy – “There’s a rumour going round. I got a clear outta town, yeah I’m smelling like a dry fish”