John Lennon`s guitar sells for $408,000
London: A custom-made guitar played by John Lennon and George Harrison has sold for $408,000 at an auction.
The guitar, built in 1966 by the VOX company, was bought by an unidentified American buyer in New York, BBC reported.
Harrison played ‘I Am The Walrus’ on the guitar in a scene from ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ in 1967. Lennon used it in a video for ‘Hello, Goodbye’ later that year.
The Julien`s Auctions company said the guitar exceeded its estimated value of $200,000-$300,000.
Lennon later gave the guitar as a 25th birthday present to Alexis Mardas, a member of The Beatles` inner circle in the 1960s.
A plaque on the back of the instrument reads: "To Magic Alex/ Alexi thank you/ for been a friend/ 2-5-1967 John (sic)".
Mardas sold the instrument in 2004.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts
- Influential theatre and opera director Luc Bondy dead at 67
- No one better than Ranveer, Deepika as Bajirao and Mastani: Priyanka
- Bigg Boss 9: Rimi Sen does not choose to leave house, Priya Malik wins immunity and captainship!
- Darshan Kumar excited to share screen space with Aishwarya