John Lennon`s guitar sells for $408,000
London: A custom-made guitar played by John Lennon and George Harrison has sold for $408,000 at an auction.
The guitar, built in 1966 by the VOX company, was bought by an unidentified American buyer in New York, BBC reported.
Harrison played ‘I Am The Walrus’ on the guitar in a scene from ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ in 1967. Lennon used it in a video for ‘Hello, Goodbye’ later that year.
The Julien`s Auctions company said the guitar exceeded its estimated value of $200,000-$300,000.
Lennon later gave the guitar as a 25th birthday present to Alexis Mardas, a member of The Beatles` inner circle in the 1960s.
A plaque on the back of the instrument reads: "To Magic Alex/ Alexi thank you/ for been a friend/ 2-5-1967 John (sic)".
Mardas sold the instrument in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Throwback pic! Virat Kohli showcases rockstar avatar, raps in AR Rahman's Chennai studio
- Led Zeppelin cleared of plagiarism charges
- Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan laud Shekhar Kapur's daughter's soul-stirring debut song – Watch
- Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline and John Abraham in 'Sau Tarah Ke' making video look HIGH on energy! Watch now
- Shah Rukh Khan-Kajol's epic romance continues to rule the Internet! – Here's how