Ricky Martin brings `Evita` back to Broadway after 30 years
London: Ricky Martin plays the role of Che and Elena Roger that of Eva Peron in the latest version of ‘Evita’, which is returning to the Broadway stage after 3 decades. The original production of the show earned the show’s creators Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice seven Tony Awards in 1980. British director Michael Grandage said the task of revamping the work of the original director, Harold Prince is daunting, but exciting.
“When there has been a very iconic first production as there has been with ‘Evita’ and Hal Prince cast a very long shadow and that is nerve wracking,” a leading daily has quoted him as saying.
“Somebody at some point has to come along and do something different. I’m very happy to have been invited and happy to stand up with this production and say here’s ‘Evita’ again after 30 years. It’s been lovely,” he said.
The story of ‘Evita’, a former actress turned First Lady, adored by many Argentines for helping women get the vote, securing labour benefits for the working classes and founding hospitals and orphanages, was turned in a West End musical by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
The charismatic first lady, second wife of Argentina’s late President Juan Peron, died in July 1952 at the age of 33 at the height of her popularity and after months of illness. The musical generated hit songs with ‘Don’t Cry for Me Argentina’ and ‘Another Suitcase in Another Hall’ went on to be made into a film in 1996, with Madonna starring in the lead role. ‘Evita’ will be playing at The Marquis Theatre in New York City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tiger Shroff starrer 'A Flying Jatt' sequel on cards?
- Amazon Prime Video India partners with Vishesh Films
- Akshay Kumar's 'Gold' based on India's first olympic medal
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 694: Abhi saves Pragya yet again from getting killed
- I am completely against banning Pakistani actors in India: Dibakar Banerjee
- Classical musicians are not entertainers: Amjad Ali Khan
- Taylor Swift to perform at Formula One concert!
- Arijit Singh's 'Nashe Si Chadh Gayi' from Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor starrer 'Befikre' will leave you tripping
- 'Enormous market for music in India'
- Shah Rukh Khan is our favourite, says British pop rock band 'The Vamps'