Ryan Adams ‘never let ‘New York, New York’ be 9/11 anthem’

Ryan Adams debuted the track of “New York, New York” (Gold) on the same day terrorists flew two hijacked planes into the World Trade Center.

London: Ryan Adams debuted the track of “New York, New York” (Gold) on the same day terrorists flew two hijacked planes into the World Trade Center and it went on to become his most successful single to date. Now, 10 years after 9/11, the alt-country singer-songwriter has revealed that he refused to play the song live because he didn’t want to exploit the tragedy.
Adams said that he actually begged music TV executives not to play its accompanying music video, which features the Twin Towers, and snubbed offers to use “New York, New York” in ad campaigns and soundtracks. “I said I wasn’t working the song, not playing it live. Basically, my request was that the song wouldn’t be used in any television, documentaries or commercials, and that they would just take the video off. I was told they couldn’t take the video out of rotation... It played a few times, and I said that if they didn’t add some kind of statement to the video, I was gonna protest in some way. Finally they took care of it.” Contactmusic quoted him as telling Billboard.com. “I made a lot of good decisions in my life, and making that song unavailable was good,” he added. ANI