Shakira announces alliance for poor kids` education
Cartagena; Colombian singer Shakira announced on the eve of the Americas Summit here an alliance of foundations to fund quality education for low-income children.
The alliance, which will invest $24 million during the first two years, comprises the superstar`s Pies Descalzos foundation, the Colombian culture ministry and several other NGOs.
"It`s an alliance specifically for the construction of 13 early-education centres that will benefit 6,200 kids with quality teaching," Shakira said.
The artist, a native of the nearby city of Barranquilla, stressed the importance of the alliance, which is already instructing children under six, "the most important years in human life, the ones that most shape their future", she said.
At that age "the child`s brain, cognitive and motor faculties and the ability to form relationships with others begin to develop, so we`re convinced that we have to invest in them, the earlier the better", Shakira said.
The 13 educational centers will be built in the Colombian provinces of Bolivar, Cundinamarca, Magdalena, Atlantico and Choco, all with high rates of extreme poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Popularity of ghazals increasing, says Rekha Bhardwaj
- Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5
- Trailer out! 'Sunshine Music Tours and Travels' is the road trip every youth needs – Watch here
- Honoured to help create an image for Indian Railways: Ritu Beri
- Taylor Swift snubbed at MTV Video Music Awards nominations!
- Billboard 200 albums chart: Drake's 'Views' remains on top for 11th time
- Will Jennifer Lopez make tunes with Calvin Harris?
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci