Shakira announces alliance for poor kids` education
Cartagena; Colombian singer Shakira announced on the eve of the Americas Summit here an alliance of foundations to fund quality education for low-income children.
The alliance, which will invest $24 million during the first two years, comprises the superstar`s Pies Descalzos foundation, the Colombian culture ministry and several other NGOs.
"It`s an alliance specifically for the construction of 13 early-education centres that will benefit 6,200 kids with quality teaching," Shakira said.
The artist, a native of the nearby city of Barranquilla, stressed the importance of the alliance, which is already instructing children under six, "the most important years in human life, the ones that most shape their future", she said.
At that age "the child`s brain, cognitive and motor faculties and the ability to form relationships with others begin to develop, so we`re convinced that we have to invest in them, the earlier the better", Shakira said.
The 13 educational centers will be built in the Colombian provinces of Bolivar, Cundinamarca, Magdalena, Atlantico and Choco, all with high rates of extreme poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Adult film actress Jessica Drake accuses Donald Trump of sexual misconduct
- Happy that protests against Karan Johar's movie are over: Madhur Bhandarkar on 'ADHM' row
- Children helping Angelina Jolie to rethink divorce tactics from Brad Pitt
- Here's how to get glowing skin this Diwali
- Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis—Here's why
- Classical musicians are not entertainers: Amjad Ali Khan
- Taylor Swift to perform at Formula One concert!
- Arijit Singh's 'Nashe Si Chadh Gayi' from Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor starrer 'Befikre' will leave you tripping
- 'Enormous market for music in India'
- Shah Rukh Khan is our favourite, says British pop rock band 'The Vamps'