Washington: `G.I. Joe: Retaliation,` whose release was delayed by nine months, opened up at no. 1 spot at the US box office by raking in 41 million dollars, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The action film stars Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Bruce Willis and Channing Tatum, Fox News reported.
Paramount had postponed the sequel`s release from its original June opening date to convert the film to 3-D.
The last-minute switch came just weeks after `Battleship, another flick based on a Hasbro toy, tanked at the box office.
The 3-D animated prehistoric comedy `The Croods` from DreamWorks Animation and 20th Century Fox was ranked at the No. 2 spot with 26.5 million dollars in its second weekend.
Among the other films this weekend, `Tyler Perry`s Temptation` starring Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Lance Gross opened well above expectations with 22.3 million dollars, while the sci-fi adaptation `The Host` starring Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, and Jake Abel as characters from the Stephenie Meyer novel landed at No. 6 in its debut weekend with 11 million dollars.
The top box office earners this week:
1. ` G.I. Joe: Retaliation` - 41.2 million dollars
2. ` The Croods` - 26.5 million dollars
3. `Tyler Perry`s Temptation` - 22.3 million dollars
4. `Olympus Has Fallen` - 14 million dollars
5. `Oz the Great and Powerful` - 11.6 million dollars
6. `The Host` - 11 million dollars
7. `The Call` - 4.8 million dollars
8. `Admission,` - 3.2 million dollars
9. `Spring Breakers,` 2.7 million dollars
10. `The Incredible Burt Wonderstone,` - 1.3 million dollars