Genital surgery `on the rise` due to pornography
Melbourne: Hundreds of Australian women are having genital cosmetic surgery – a trend driven by pornography, gynaecologists say.
Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists vice-president Ajay Rane said labiaplasties and vulvoplasties to reduce the size of a women`s genitals were ”the modern version of FGM (female genital mutilation)”, the Age reported.
Labiaplasties and vulvoplasties claimed on Medicare have more than doubled in Australia over the past decade - from 640 women in 2001 to 1558 last year. The biggest increase has been among women aged 15 to 24 years.
Professor Rane said far more women were having the surgeries than the Medicare data suggested, because they were done privately for about 3000 by dollars cosmetic surgeons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- I still feel I have a lot more to do and achieve says, Jacqueline Fernandez
- Expectations soaring high! Beyonce gearing up to perform at 2016 MTV Video Music Awards?
- Salman Khan's 'Being SalMan: The Official Game' is out for you to 'Khelo'
- Arbaaz Khan feels he is more suited for second lead!