`The Good Road` is on the right track: Resul Pookutty
New Delhi: Amid criticism over the selection of `The Good Road` as India`s official entry to the Oscars, the Gujarati film`s Academy award-winning sound designer Resul Pookutty has come forward in defence of the movie.
The selection of `The Good Road` starring Sonali Kulkarni, Poonam Kesar Singh, Ajay Gehi among others, was not welcomed by many in Bollywood.
Rather the B-town felt Ritesh Batra`s ‘The Lunchbox’, which is produced by Anurag Kashyap and presented by Karan Johar, was a more befitting choice.
"I haven`t seen `The Lunchbox`. That movie may be a better film than `The Good Road`. As far as I see about the criticism, the director (Gyan Correa) is a debutante and the protagonist and surrounding characters are non-actors.
"This movie came from the oblivion without any hype or promotion. It may not fall in the conventional film category, but that doesn`t mean that it is not fit for the race," Pookutty said.
Kashyap and Johar expressed their disappointment after ‘The Lunchbox’ was ignored by the Film Federation of India appointed selection committee, which announced ‘The Good Road’ as its choice from 22 entries to represent India at the Oscars.
Pookutty says it was very disheartening to hear industry stalwarts talk like this.
"It is quiet disheartening to see people working in the same industry coming up with criticism. Anurag has always been a proponent of independent cinema. I think it could be because he is one of the producers of `The Lunchbox`. He should feel happy for the other Indian film being selected," Pookutty said.
The Gujarati film fraternity also held a protest in Ahmedabad claiming ‘The Good Road’ deals with child prostitution.
However, Pookutty, who won an Oscar for Best Sound Mixing for `Slumdog Millionaire` in 2009, says the film has no objectionable content in it.
"`The Good Road` is basically a road chronicle. When the movie starts to roll, it takes the audience through different emotional ups and downs. During a particular juncture in the movie it takes you to that point," Pookutty said.
"Child prostitution is not the main theme. It is a part of the plot. However, I am not the right person to say much about the storyline, it is the director," he added.
This is not the first time that Pookutty`s films have faced such criticism. The sound designer said similar problems happened during the certification process of director Shonali Bose`s `Amu` in 2005 and again after the release of the Oscar winning movie `Slumdog Millionaire`.
"Any theme which deals with political agenda will definitely spark controversies. I am a professional and put my heart and soul to work on all these three films- `Amu`, `Slumdog Millionaire` and now `The Good Road`. I don`t see the political part, for me the creative side matters. These are the realities of our country and I would accept it," Pookutty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Martin Sheen calls his wife 'scariest woman'
- Robert Downey Jr travels with his furniture
- Hundreds say farewell at funeral for blues great BB King
- Kim Kardashian is a great wing woman: Paris Hilton
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- 'Empire' season 2 returns in September
- Bob Saget to return for 'Full House' revival
- 'Urban Cowboy' to get TV adaptation
- Graham Moore's viral-outbreak drama gets series order
- 'American Idol' stint was my worst experience: Mariah Carey
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- '19 Kids and Counting' spin-off in works
- Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus reunite on-screen
- Kendrick Lamar's special performance on Ellen's show
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses