Chaitanya Tamhane`s `Court` headed to Venice Film Festival
Mumbai: Writer-director Chaitanya Tamhane`s debut film `Court` has been selected for the Venice International Film Festival.
The multilingual movie will be screened in the Horizons (Orizonti) section of the festival, which runs from August 27 to September 6.
"Our entire team is extremely happy about the selection at Venice. It`s an honour to present the film on such a prestigious platform," the director said.
Tamhane, an English literature graduate, has previously short film `Six Strands`, which was screened at international film festivals like Roterdam, Clermont-Ferand, Edinburgh, and Slamdance.
In 2012, he was selected for the Berlinale Talent Campus at the Berlin Film Festival. `Court` was awarded the Hubert Bals Fund from the Roterdam Lab in Roterdam International Film Festival 2012.
Produced by Vivek Gomber`s Zoo Entertainment, the film has largely been shot on real locations with a cast of mainly non-professional actors, the director said.
The story of `Court` begins with the discovery of a sewerage worker`s body inside a manhole in Mumbai. An ageing folk singer is tried in court on charges of abatement of suicide. He is accused of performing an inflammatory song which might have incited the worker to commit the act.
As the trial unfolds, the personal lives of the lawyers and the judge involved in the case are observed outside the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Konkona Sen Sharma wins top honour at Mumbai Film Fest
- 'Mango Dreams' a film about India-Pakistan partition survivor received positively at Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Festival
- Check out these instant snack ideas for Diwali parties
- Here's how Deepika Padukone plans to celebrate her Diwali
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 698: Tanu's friend exposes her real face in front of Abhi
- Priyanka Chopra's debut Marathi production Ventilator gets dramatic world premiere
- First look of Prabhas starrer 'Baahubali: The Conclusion' is finally out!
- Vivek Oberoi's to make his Tamil debut with Ajith's next
- SS Rajamouli to share first look of 'Baahubali 2: The Conclusion' at MAMI
- Rana Daggubati, Prabhas’ 'Baahubali 2' promises to be bigger and better