Indian film `Chenu` set for Cannes` L`Atelier
New Delhi: Manjeet Singh`s feature film project ‘Chenu’ has been selected by the Cannes International Film Festival`s L`Atelier section. It is one of 15 projects selected from across the globe, and the director considers it an honour.
"It`s an honour to be selected in the most powerful co-production event on planet, which will speed up the process of completion of funds and bring on-board reputed producers, sales agents and distributors," Singh said in a statement.
His debut film ‘Mumbai Cha Raja’ had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival.
His new project narrates the tale of a low-caste Dalit boy in rural north India and how he is drawn into the Naxal movement. Singh believes being chosen for the ninth edition of L`Atelier "is a stamp of approval that `Chenu` belongs to best of world cinema."
"Unfortunately our selection committees were not able to gauge (that) and had to face multiple rejections. It also points out the faith Cannes authority have in my directorial abilities, after they saw `Mumbai Cha Raja`," that I will be able to do justice to this wild story I have conceived, which also happens to be first feature screenplay and very unconventional," added Singh.
Since its creation in 2005, L`Atelier has been inspiring creative filmmaking and encouraging generations of new filmmakers around the world. By inviting directors and their producers to meet hundreds of potential partners during the Festival de Cannes, L`Atelier, to be held May 17-23, offers its participants access to international co-production, and potential investors thereby exponentially increasing the possibilities of the scripts becoming films.
So far, out of 126 projects presented over the last eight years, 83 have been completed and 29 are in pre-production.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- It's big! Marathi film 'Sairat' rakes in a whopping Rs 65 cr in 3 weeks
- Superstar Mohanlal turns 56