Kamal Haasan thanks fans for support
Chennai: Actor-filmmaker Kamal Haasan has thanked his fans for the constant support that helped him steer clear of the controversies surrounding his multi-lingual film "Vishwaroopam".
"I am ever grateful to the Tamil Nadu and Indian people at large. Many peers in the trade in Tamil Nadu also reached out personally to enquire. Unbeknownst to me, the rest of my fraternity throughout the country raised their voice in my defense," Kamal said in a statement.
He also said that it is the media which on his behalf fought the battle.
"The media fought for my freedom as if it was theirs at stake - probably it is so. Nevertheless, the time they spent on my small cause and the warmth they imparted strengthened me," he added.
The Rs.95 crore espionage thriller was set for release in Tamil and Telugu Jan 25, but a day before the release the Tamil Nadu government imposed a two-week ban on it fearing protests by Muslim groups.
The ban on the film was revoked after Kamal agreed to edit a few scenes from his controversial film in the presence of Tamil Nadu Home Secretary R. Rajagopal and members from Muslim organisations.
Kamal says he was moved to see how fans around the country sent donations to him, to soften the financial crisis, which was caused due to the delay in the release of the film.
According to trade pundits, initial losses on the film were between Rs.30 crore to Rs.80 crore.
"I was angered and hurt by injustice. I stood stoic through all the troubles but what broke me to an emotional pulp was the sight of money orders, currency notes and bank cheques sent to me by admirers to help me tide over my crisis," said the 58-year-old.
"I will be sending all of these to the respective senders. Please do not take offense. All my fans, I owe you all a big salute. You respected my request as if it was my command and maintained peace and harmony in spite of provocation," he added.
The film, which is written, produced and directed by Kamal, is finally releasing Feb 7 all over Tamil Nadu.
The Hindi version titled "Vishwaroop", released Feb 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s ‘pillow talk’ video is the most inspiring desi thing you will WATCH today
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: How to celebrate this auspicious day if you are working
- Baywatch: Priyanka Chopra looks unapologetically stunning in red - See Poster
- Nach Baliye 8: Check out this season’s celebrity contestants
- Malayalam actress abduction case: Congress MLA alleges 'serious lapses' in handling case
- Trisha Krishnan excited about ‘Saamy 2’ with Vikram
- Ranganathan Madhavan - Vijay Sethupathi’s ‘Vikram Vedha’ first look poster unveiled - It’s intriguing!
- Malayalam actress molestation case: Conspiracy angle will be probed, says Kerala govt
- Tamil actress Varalaxmi reveals her 'casting couch' experience, writes 'stop disrespecting women'
- Vidya Balan in a Rajinikanth film?