M Karunanidhi flays stalling of Vijay-starrer Tamil film
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today disapproved of the stalling of the Tamil film `Thalaiva,` starring Vijay, which missed its release date in the backdrop of some threats received by some theatres in the city.
Observing that what happened to actor Kamal Haasan`s `Viswaroopam` a few months ago was now happening to `Thalaiva,` Karunanidhi said in a statement here these things would not augur well for a democracy.
The movie, slated for the release yesterday, hit a block in the last minute following objections by a man called Karnan, who claimed the story line was based on the life of his grandfather S S Kandaswamy and his father S K Ramaswamy, who lived in Dharavi in Mumbai.
Karnan has moved a city court seeking a stay on the release and the petition has been posted to August 14.
Besides the litigation, a few theatres in Chennai has received bomb threats from a little known outfit Tamil Nadu Oppressed Students Revolutionary Force, who supported the arguments of Karnan, prompting the theatre owners to cancel bookings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Runway Bridal to return with fourth edition in September
- Mr World 2016 Rohit Khandelwal says it is easier for models to enter Bollywood!
- Sonakshi Sinha does not have aptitude to join politics!- READ
- Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput fulfil grandmother Neelima Azeem's wish!
- Veteran writer Salim Khan hails Bombay HC judgement on Haji Ali
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall
- Tamil film director Chandrasekar hospitalised
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- Double treat for fans, first look of sequel to release on birthday of 'Baahubali'