M Karunanidhi flays stalling of Vijay-starrer Tamil film
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today disapproved of the stalling of the Tamil film `Thalaiva,` starring Vijay, which missed its release date in the backdrop of some threats received by some theatres in the city.
Observing that what happened to actor Kamal Haasan`s `Viswaroopam` a few months ago was now happening to `Thalaiva,` Karunanidhi said in a statement here these things would not augur well for a democracy.
The movie, slated for the release yesterday, hit a block in the last minute following objections by a man called Karnan, who claimed the story line was based on the life of his grandfather S S Kandaswamy and his father S K Ramaswamy, who lived in Dharavi in Mumbai.
Karnan has moved a city court seeking a stay on the release and the petition has been posted to August 14.
Besides the litigation, a few theatres in Chennai has received bomb threats from a little known outfit Tamil Nadu Oppressed Students Revolutionary Force, who supported the arguments of Karnan, prompting the theatre owners to cancel bookings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Guess what? Samantha Ruth Prabhu and Naga Chaitanya in Telugu remake of '2 States'
- These leaked PICTURES from the sets of 'Baahubali 2' will make you crave for the movie! See inside
- Dhanush overjoyed at 'Visaranai' becoming India's Oscar entry
- Tamil film 'Visaranai' is India's official Oscar entry for 2017
- Vashu Bhagnani to produce Priyanka Chopra's next home production