M Karunanidhi flays stalling of Vijay-starrer Tamil film
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today disapproved of the stalling of the Tamil film `Thalaiva,` starring Vijay, which missed its release date in the backdrop of some threats received by some theatres in the city.
Observing that what happened to actor Kamal Haasan`s `Viswaroopam` a few months ago was now happening to `Thalaiva,` Karunanidhi said in a statement here these things would not augur well for a democracy.
The movie, slated for the release yesterday, hit a block in the last minute following objections by a man called Karnan, who claimed the story line was based on the life of his grandfather S S Kandaswamy and his father S K Ramaswamy, who lived in Dharavi in Mumbai.
Karnan has moved a city court seeking a stay on the release and the petition has been posted to August 14.
Besides the litigation, a few theatres in Chennai has received bomb threats from a little known outfit Tamil Nadu Oppressed Students Revolutionary Force, who supported the arguments of Karnan, prompting the theatre owners to cancel bookings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- You cannot take your eyes off 'sloth struck' Ranveer Singh lazing around!- See it to believe it
- Dance songs should not be called item numbers: Aditi Rao Hydari
- Arbaaz Khan speaks about his character in 'Tera Intezaar'- READ
- Kangana Ranaut looking forward to next project- Know all about it!
- Do's & Donts while worshipping a Shivling—A must read!
- Mahesh Babu gears up for next with AR Murugadoss
- Don't want to be known as Dalit filmmaker: 'Kabali' director
- Kajal Aggarwal grooves for a special song in 'Janatha Garage'
- Know why Radhika Apte couldn’t be a part of ‘Kabali’ promotions
- Freeze frame! ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth strikes a pose with son-in-law Dhanush