President, PM condole Nageswara Rao`s death
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday condoled the death of Telugu cinema icon Akkineni Nageswara Rao.
"An acclaimed Telugu film actor, producer and writer, Nageswara Rao shall always be remembered for his memorable films. His singular contribution to Indian cinema was recognised through a number of awards. In his death, the film industry has lost a creative personality whose contribution to Telugu cinema remains unparalleled," the president said in a message to the film maker`s son, Nagarjuna.
Nageswara Rao died early Wednesday. He was 89.
The prime minister said: "I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing away of Akkineni Nageswara Rao. He was a man of multiple talents and will be long remembered for his contribution to Indian cinema in general and Telugu cinema in particular."
"I convey my sincere condolences to the members of his family, his friends and well-wishers and to his countless admirers around the world," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall
- Tamil film director Chandrasekar hospitalised
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- Double treat for fans, first look of sequel to release on birthday of 'Baahubali'