Punjabi audiences prefer comedy: RSVP producer
New Delhi: Brinder Sran, who is ready to make her debut as a producer with ‘RSVP - Ronde Saare Vyah Picho’, says the majority of Punjabi audiences prefer comedy and they have yet to evolve to appreciate other serious subjects.
Co-produced by Aparna Sud, ‘RSVP’ is based on how non-resident Indians (NRIs) and people from other states marry Punjabi people. The makers of the film, which will release Friday, have tried to bring in various elements to make the story appealing to the audience.
"It`s a serious subject. NRIs or people from other states lure people into wedding. Then what happens after the ceremony, no one knows. We`ve tried to present it in a good way by putting various elements like romance, comedy, drama and action so that the audience doesn`t get bored," Sran said.
"The Punjabi audience right now... more than half of them like comedy. A small percentage of the audience likes to watch films with good subjects. We don`t have a very mature audience as of now," she added.
As ‘RSVP’ is a complete family entertainer, the 29-year-old is expecting good response from non-Punjabi moviegoers too.
"I have faith in audience that they will watch my movie. I am already getting good reviews from Mumbai. We have Maharashtrian team members too. They`ve watched the film and liked it," said Sran, who co-produce it under her husband Himmat Singh`s banner Himmat Ventures.
She is looking forward to wider acceptance for the film.
"According to my knowledge, Punjabi movies do well in Delhi. I have friends who are not from Punjab and I was amazed to see them appreciate movies like ‘Jatt and Juliet` and other movies from the region. It`s nice to see non-Punjabi people watching movies and trying to understand our language," she said.
Directed by Vijay Kumar Arora, the movie features Harish Verma, Neeru Bajwa, Gugu Gill, Rajpal Yadav, amongst others.
"We are happy that we have Neeru, who is the queen of Punjabi cinema. We knew that no one else could play the role better than her. We wanted a typical Punjabi girl look, which Neeru has and she is extremely talented and experienced," said Sran.
‘RSVP’ could be a trendsetter as it stars pure actors.
"We are glad that we have worked with only actors and not Punjabi singers-turned-actors, a trend in Punjabi cinema. After watching the film, people will know that Punjabi actors have talent and they should get more work," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Krushna Abhishek open to working with Kapil Sharma!
- Maha Shivaratri: Here’s the lyrics of Shiva Aarti
- When Raj Kapoor gave gold coins to Zeenat Aman!
- Pooja Bhatt to file police complaint against man posing as her agent
- Anushka Sharma’s ‘Phillauri’: ‘Whats up’ - first wedding song of this season – Watch
- Trisha Krishnan excited about ‘Saamy 2’ with Vikram
- Ranganathan Madhavan - Vijay Sethupathi’s ‘Vikram Vedha’ first look poster unveiled - It’s intriguing!
- Malayalam actress molestation case: Conspiracy angle will be probed, says Kerala govt
- Tamil actress Varalaxmi reveals her 'casting couch' experience, writes 'stop disrespecting women'
- Vidya Balan in a Rajinikanth film?