Something definitely wrong: Victor, Jahnu on Nat Award jury
New Delhi: Veteran actor Victor Banerjee and acclaimed filmmaker Jahnu Barua have expressed anger over the rejection of Assamese film ‘Ekhon Nedekha Nadir Xipaare’ by the National Awards jury which thought the film had more of Hindi elements than Assamese.
Barua, who won widespread critical acclaim for his ‘Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara’, asserted ‘Ekhon Nedekha Nadir Xipaare’ (As the River Flows) is "definitely" an Assamese movie.
"The verdict of the jury is not acceptable. There is something definitely wrong with the jury," Barua told reporters. "How can a jury, of which 10 of 11 members are non-
Assamese can vouch whether a film is Assamese or not," he asked.
The jury, headed by actor Rohini Hathangady, had Assamese filmmaker Hiren Bora as a member.
"I can`t understand the logic of the jury. It`s an Assamese movie, the story is Assamese, the base is Assamese...How can they be a judge," Banerjee said. "It`s disgraceful that the northeast is still neglected."
The film, directed by Bidyut Kotoky and starring Banerjee, Sanjay Suri (in the lead role), Raj Zutshi and Priti Jhangiani, is a socio-political thriller and talks of social conflicts and individual commitments in an age where the society has become so self-centred.
"The jury was of the view that a major chunk of the film was shot in Mumbai and most of the dialogues were in Hindi," Bora told reporters.
Interestingly, "I AM" that won the best Hindi film was shot in four different cities across India and also has dialogues in English and Kashmiri. Kotoky is also not amused.
"Had it been discarded as a bad movie, I would have had no problem. But when the Censor Board has cleared it as an Assamese movie, then I fail to understand why the jury has difficulty in describing it as an Assamese movie," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parineeti Chopra excited, nervous to work with Irrfan Khan
- Katrina Kaif planning to launch her label
- Consider Nana Patekar my father figure: Ali Fazal
- Happy to be back on sets with Salman Khan, says WHO? It's totally worth reading
- Hope filing FIR for women becomes better, says Amitabh Bachchan post 'Pink'
- Guess what? Samantha Ruth Prabhu and Naga Chaitanya in Telugu remake of '2 States'
- These leaked PICTURES from the sets of 'Baahubali 2' will make you crave for the movie! See inside
- Dhanush overjoyed at 'Visaranai' becoming India's Oscar entry
- Tamil film 'Visaranai' is India's official Oscar entry for 2017
- Vashu Bhagnani to produce Priyanka Chopra's next home production