South Indian film industry worth Rs. 21,190 crore: Kamal Haasan
Chennai: Actor-filmmaker Kamal Haasan Tuesday said that the south Indian film industry is worth Rs. 21,190 crore and accounts to 65-70 percent of total movies produced in the country.
"I may sound like I`m bragging, but it`s true. National cinema resides in the south because filmmakers there are not restricted to one language. They have taken the effort to go beyond the borders," said Kamal at the opening day of Media and Entertainment Business Conclave (MEBC), a Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) initiative.
"South Indian cinema (Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam) has filmmakers such as D. Rama Naidu, who has produced films in as many as 13 languages, unlike filmmakers such as V. Shantaram, who made films only in Hindi and Marathi.
"As per a Deloitte report, the South Indian film industry is worth Rs. 21,190 crore. South indian films also account for 65-70 percent of total films produced in india", added the veteran, who is also the chairman of FICCI MEBC.
Producer Suresh Babu, American producer Barrie Osbourne and Tamil director Ameer were present, among others, at the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai: Mohsin Khan talks about his love for Shivangi Joshi
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui starrer 'Manto' a very big project for me: Nandita Das
- Motherhood teaches you priorities in life: Farah Khan
- Chetan Bhagat shares a trivia about Shraddha Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor's 'Half Girlfriend'
- Working with Amitabh Bachchan was always on my wish list: Esha Gupta
- Rana Daggubati's 'The Ghazi Attack': Opening weekend collections at the Box Office
- Malayalam actress molestation case: After main accused, two more people detained by police
- Allu Arjun's 'Duvvada Jagannadham' FIRST LOOK out!
- Malayalam actress Bhavana allegedly kidnapped, molested; driver held
- Personally getting involved to release 'Vishwaroopam 2': Kamal Haasan