Statue of evergreen actor Prem Nazir to be set up
Thiruvananthapuram: A life-size statue of Malayalam`s ever-green matinee idol Prem Nazir, who set a record by acting in more than 600 movies, is to be set up here.
In view of increasing demands from cultural and film circles, the state government has decided to set up his statue at a suitable spot in the city.
Cultural Affairs minister K C Joseph had informed the state Assembly in a submission yesterday that steps were on to identify a suitable location for erecting the statue of the actor, who dominated Malayalam cinema from 1950s to early `80s.
The government had already sanctioned Rs 10 lakh for the memorial project based on the request submitted by actor Suresh Gopi on behalf of the Trivandrum Film Fraternity, but it had got delayed for finding an ideal site.
The minister said the government would provide enough funds for the memorial.
An all-time superstar of Malayalam, Prem Nazir (Abdul Khader in real life) commanded a great fan following among Malayalis.
A Padma Bhushan awardee, apart from box office hits, Nazir had essayed memorable roles in films like `Iruttinte Athmavu`, `Kallichellamma`, `Murappennu` and `Anubhavangal Paalichakal`, based on eminent Malayalam literary works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Richa Chadha collaborates with all-female production in New York
- Grateful to amazing people who made ‘Neerja' happen: Producer
- Riteish Deshmukh tweets an important life lesson on Shivaji Jayanti!
- Ashish Kaul appointed CEO of Prakash Jha Productions
- Rajkummar Rao's presence in Hansal Mehta's life has been 'transformative'
- Malayalam actress molestation case: After main accused, two more people detained by police
- Allu Arjun's 'Duvvada Jagannadham' FIRST LOOK out!
- Malayalam actress Bhavana allegedly kidnapped, molested; driver held
- Personally getting involved to release 'Vishwaroopam 2': Kamal Haasan
- Birthday boy Sivakarthikeyan all set to take silver screen by storm with 'Velaikkaran'