Telugu industry to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema
Hyderabad: The Telugu film industry wants to highlight its contribution to Indian cinema and will kickstart the centenary celebrations here soon amongst the presence of the entire fraternity.
"We have never highlighted how much has Telugu industry contributed to Indian cinema. We want to showcase the achievements of some of our luminaries who have made us proud over the years. The celebrations will start soon and we have also requested the support of the state government," Thammareddy Bharadwaja, president, Andhra Pradesh Film Chamber of Commerce, told IANS.
"Members of our industry such as N.T. Rama Rao, S.V. Ranga Rao, Dasari Narayana Rao, Raghupathi Venkaiah and Vijayanirmala have brought laurels to our industry, but rarely do people know about them or their achievements. It is our responsibility to bring them to limelight," he added.
He said Telugu industry has contributed as much any other to Indian cinema.
"Indian cinema is not only Bollywood or any other industry for that matter because every industry has contributed to it equally. Nobody knows of actors who were part of Telugu cinema in the 1940s and 1950s," he said.
Talking about the celebrations, he said: "We wouldn`t have any song and dance type of celebration, but have plans for something bigger. We also want to show the rich heritage of Telugu cinema through exhibition.
"It will be open to public and those interested can contribute to the exhibition with whatever they posses - it could be posters, photographs and personal memorabilia," Bharadwaja said.
As part of the celebrations, the chamber also plans to honour theatre as well.
"Theatre has had a great impact on Telugu cinema over the years. We have plans to honor 130-year old Surabhi Theatre Group that has given this industry so many legendary actors. We have planned for a theatre festival staring today (Wednesday)," he said
The Surabhi Theatre Festival will go on till May 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rob Kardashian checks into rehab
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- Remo is a better director than choreographer: Prabhudheva
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Michael Jackson's former home for sale
- Lindsay Lohan's probation finally ends
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- Kylie Jenner planning to leave reality TV
- How to look good without eye makeup
- 'American Idol' was worst experience for Mariah Carey
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- '19 Kids and Counting' spin-off in works
- Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus reunite on-screen
- Kendrick Lamar's special performance on Ellen's show
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Courtney Stodden's mother resigns as her manager
- Nepal earthquake recreated on 'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein'
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in