Theatre owners threaten against screening `Viswaroopam`
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association and Madurai-Ramanathapuram United Film Distributors today threatened not to screen Tamil super star Kamal Hassan`s flick `Viswaroopam` in Madurai and Ramanathapuram districts, if it was broadcast on DTH platform on January 10, a day ahead of the film`s theatrical release.
At a joint meeting here, the Association leaders asked the actor, who is also the director of the film, to reconsider the decision to broadcast the film in DTH platform and cancel the licence given to the relevant companies for airing it.
They claimed they would in the future boycott the films of all producers or actors who decide to give licence to DTH companies for airing films when they were released through theatres.
A decision had been taken by them not to run `Viswaroopam` in theatres in most parts of Tamil Nadu, they said.
They also requested Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa to intervene and "protect" the interests of theatre owners and film distributors.
Unfazed by the opposition from a section of theatre-owners against his decision to release the movie on DTH platform, Kamal Hassan had in Chennai last week said the effort was an "evolutionary growth" and insisted it was the "way to go forward."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mika Singh opens up about making an appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Arjun Rampal captures priceless moments from 'Kahaani 2'! – View pics
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!
- It's a wrap for Vidya Balan-Arjun Rampal's 'Kahaani 2'!
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- It's big! Marathi film 'Sairat' rakes in a whopping Rs 65 cr in 3 weeks
- Superstar Mohanlal turns 56