Theatre owners threaten against screening `Viswaroopam`
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association and Madurai-Ramanathapuram United Film Distributors today threatened not to screen Tamil super star Kamal Hassan`s flick `Viswaroopam` in Madurai and Ramanathapuram districts, if it was broadcast on DTH platform on January 10, a day ahead of the film`s theatrical release.
At a joint meeting here, the Association leaders asked the actor, who is also the director of the film, to reconsider the decision to broadcast the film in DTH platform and cancel the licence given to the relevant companies for airing it.
They claimed they would in the future boycott the films of all producers or actors who decide to give licence to DTH companies for airing films when they were released through theatres.
A decision had been taken by them not to run `Viswaroopam` in theatres in most parts of Tamil Nadu, they said.
They also requested Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa to intervene and "protect" the interests of theatre owners and film distributors.
Unfazed by the opposition from a section of theatre-owners against his decision to release the movie on DTH platform, Kamal Hassan had in Chennai last week said the effort was an "evolutionary growth" and insisted it was the "way to go forward."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Book lovers go gaga as cine-star Rishi Kapoor takes centrestage at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival
- 'Iron Man 3' actor Miguel Ferrer dead after battling throat cancer
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley
- THIS is what Shah Rukh Khan can't do in front of camera!
- Shah Rukh Khan heads to 'Bigg Boss 10' sets, will meet Salman Khan!
- Diljit Dosanjh is Ekta Kapoor's 'Super Singh'
- Madhavan, Pawan Kalyan to speak at India Conference at Harvard
- Actress Trisha in Jallikattu row, says never opposed the sport
- Will Priyanka Chopra do a Punjabi film? Here's what 'Sarvann' director feels
- Jallikattu row: After Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth bats for bull taming sport