‘Vishwaroopam’: Massive setback for Kamal Haasan as Madras HC stays film’s release
Chennai: The Madras High court division bench has stayed the release of Kamal Haasan’s controversial film ‘Vishwaroopam’.
It has asked him to approach a single bench to file a counter appeal. The next hearing is scheduled on Monday.
The actor had reached a truce with the Muslim community and had agreed to edit objectionable scenes/dialogue from the film in question. However, HC’s latest verdict has come as a massive setback to the veteran actor.
Earlier in the day Kamal Haasan, during a press conference, said that he would leave the country if he fails to get justice over his controversial film ‘Vishwaroopam’. Speaking to the press here, the actor apologized for causing inconvenience and wondered why at all there is a controversy regarding the film.
The Censor Board had cleared the film for its release but the Tamil Nadu government had imposed a ban on the same following protests by certain sections of the society, who alleged that the film showed Muslims in bad light. However, the Madras High Court had stayed the ban on the film Tuesday.
Addressing the media, Haasan said, “Wonder how one movie could rock a nation’s unity. I shall wait for the judgment but after this I will have to seek a secular state for a house. I have pledged all what I have and if the film doesn’t release, I will end up suffering a huge loss. Even if I become shelter less, I know there are people who will help me. From Kashmir to Kerala, I have a number of homes to call my own. But despite all that, if I am left with no place to stay, then I will have no choice but to leave the country. But nothing can ever change the fact that I am an Indian.”
“My father believed in humanity above all faith and had taught me not to hurt anyone’s sentiments. I don’t follow any religion, for I too believe in humanity. But I will certainly not let anyone take me for granted,” added the veteran.