Wanted to probe post-war Sri Lanka through my film: Vithanage
New Delhi: Director Prasanna Vithanage has adapted Fyodor Dostoyevsky`s short story `The Meek One` to probe the post civil war scenario in Sri Lanka through his film `With You, Without You` as he believes it is impossible to move ahead without understanding the past.
"After the war many people believed that there will be a reconciliation and a political solution but unfortunately nothing much has happened. And as a Sri Lankan I feel very sad about it. All these compulsions made me re-look at the aftermath of war," Vithanage said in a telephonic interview from Colombo.
Set in post-war Sri Lanka, the story revolves around a Sinhala man, who falls in love with a Tamil woman. The Tamil-Sinhala language film explores whether love can overcome the weight of history. It also probes how masculinity impacts a relationship.
Starring Indian actress Anjali Patil and Shyam Fernando in lead roles, `Oba Nathuwa Oba Ekka` (With You, Without You) is being released in India this Friday through PVR`s Director`s Rare.
Patil won the best actress award at the International Film Festival of India 2012 for the film, which has been screened to wide acclaim in festivals like Kerala, BFI London, Chicago and Hong Kong.
The award-winning director, who was a jury member at IFFI last year, is happy that the film is releasing in India as he loves visiting the country.
Vithanage admits that it was difficult to make a film about a crisis that was so recent but feels as an artiste it is his duty to probe uncomfortable questions.
"Unfortunately, in the last four decades people of Sri Lanka became polarised on ethnic and religious lines. Raising these issues is difficult because of the polarisation. But without understanding the past you can`t move ahead," he says.
"As an artiste it is our duty to probe even when the conditions are against you. Otherwise, you become a part of the polarisation and the agenda."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunil Grover does a ‘Raees’ a la Shah Rukh Khan! See PICS
- Fawad Khan’s wife shares first photo of daughter Elayna and its too cute!
- Surpanakha - A destructive demoness from the Ramayana or tormented woman?
- Here’s how you can regain your spouse’s attention
- Shah Rukh Khan - Karan Johar’s camaraderie will inspire you to connect with your friends
- Madhavan, Pawan Kalyan to speak at India Conference at Harvard
- Actress Trisha in Jallikattu row, says never opposed the sport
- Will Priyanka Chopra do a Punjabi film? Here's what 'Sarvann' director feels
- Jallikattu row: After Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth bats for bull taming sport
- ‘Baahubali’ director SS Rajamuli has THIS Indian Epic trilogy in the pipeline?