Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples
Washington: Cuddling and caressing are vital for long-term satisfaction in relationships, according to an international study.
The couples, over 1,000 from the US, Brazil, Germany, Japan and Spain, were together for an average 25 years.
The study from the Kinsey Institute at Indiana University is the first to examine sexual and relationship parameters of middle-aged or older couples in committed, long-term relationships, reports the journal Archives of Sexual Behaviour.
"It`s important to note that though divorce rates are high in the US, couples tend to stay married -- more than 50 percent of US couples remain in their first marriage, and that number goes up to 90 percent in Spain," said Julia Heiman, who led the study, according to a Kinsey statement.
"We know from other research that being in a long-term relationship has some value to health," said Heiman, director of The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.
Participants in the study were 40 to 70-year-old men and their female partners, either married or living together for a minimum of one year. The study included around 200 couples from each country.
"This study on heterosexual couples provides a basis for future research on sex and gender, such as how same-sex couples may or may not show similarities and differences in relationship and sexual satisfaction," Heiman said.
For men, relationship happiness was more likely if the man reported being in good health and if it was important to him that his partner experienced orgasm.
Surprisingly, frequent kissing or cuddling also predicted happiness in the relationship for men, but not for women.
Both men and women reported more happiness the longer they had been together, and if they themselves scored higher on several sexual functioning questionnaires.
Across all five nationalities, for both men and women, the Japanese were significantly happier with their relationships than Americans, and Brazilians and Spanish reported less relationship happiness than Americans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Son of Sardaar’ Ajay Devgn grabs Diwali 2017 slot!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Playwright, actor Sam Shepard arrested on drunken driving charge
- Broadway 2014-2015 season is best ever with $1.36 billion in grosses
- Artist sells other's Instagram photo for $90,000
- Vietnam's 'Ceramic King' has over 100,000 antiques
- Haryana to set up three museums
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Rajkumar Hirani produces his sister's play
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow