The top spring destinations of 2014: National Geographic Travel
A wine-growing valley in Chile, walking paths in Tasmania and Ireland`s untamed, rugged coastline have been singled out as among some of the top spring destinations of 2014 by National Geographic Travel.
Editors at the publication offer an interesting list of top 10 spring vacation ideas that focus on outdoor activities like hiking, walking or scenic drives.
One of their suggestions includes a drive along Ireland`s recently launched `Wild Atlantic Way,` the longest defined coastal drive in the world.
For 2,400 km (1,491 miles), drivers are accompanied by rugged landscapes of dramatic cliff drops, crashing waves where land and ocean meet, and untamed wilderness.
Editors suggest hitting the roads in spring, when Cork throws a St. Paddy’s day festival over a few days (March 15-17); the picturesque city of Galway throws a food festival (April 17-21); and Connemara throws a mussel festival (May 2-4).
Just an hour`s drive away from Santiago lies the Casablanca Valley, one of Chile’s fastest-growing wine regions carpeted in vineyards and morning, coastal mist. While much of the harvest takes place in March which marks the tail end of their summer, the vines also begin to change color in April and May for scenic rambles and wine tastings.
And nature lovers and hikers may want to consider taking a leisurely stroll along Cornelian Bay in Tasmania, or a more challenging bushwalk in the remote Southwest National Park under blue skies.
March and April are identified as the best period to undertake walking tours when fall foliage begins to change the landscape and temperatures are a comfortable 10C to 16C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' success a confidence booster: Kangana
- Dubai takes Anil Kapoor's heart away
- Saif, Kareena off to Maldives for family vacation
- Farhan, 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team, to meet Milkha Singh
- 'P Se PM Tak' movie review- Long and uninspiring journey
- Pertinent to build toilets than temples or mosques: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- 'Empire' season 2 returns in September
- Vin Diesel shares 'Fast and Furious 8' unofficial poster
- Film fests good for spotlight: Budding Assamese filmmaker
- Documentary on A R Rahman screened at White House
- Top 5 destination wedding spots in the country!
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Make your hair holiday-ready
- Bling on smartly while travelling
- Chandigarh's Coffee House remains crowd-puller despite competition
- Must-do in New York for spring season
- Visit the magnificent Kanheri caves in Mumbai
- Five fabulous things to do in Shimla
- Top 10 flavours of Asia
- Get set go with these enthralling adventure sports!
- Top 5 forts to visit in India
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM