The top spring destinations of 2014: National Geographic Travel
A wine-growing valley in Chile, walking paths in Tasmania and Ireland`s untamed, rugged coastline have been singled out as among some of the top spring destinations of 2014 by National Geographic Travel.
Editors at the publication offer an interesting list of top 10 spring vacation ideas that focus on outdoor activities like hiking, walking or scenic drives.
One of their suggestions includes a drive along Ireland`s recently launched `Wild Atlantic Way,` the longest defined coastal drive in the world.
For 2,400 km (1,491 miles), drivers are accompanied by rugged landscapes of dramatic cliff drops, crashing waves where land and ocean meet, and untamed wilderness.
Editors suggest hitting the roads in spring, when Cork throws a St. Paddy’s day festival over a few days (March 15-17); the picturesque city of Galway throws a food festival (April 17-21); and Connemara throws a mussel festival (May 2-4).
Just an hour`s drive away from Santiago lies the Casablanca Valley, one of Chile’s fastest-growing wine regions carpeted in vineyards and morning, coastal mist. While much of the harvest takes place in March which marks the tail end of their summer, the vines also begin to change color in April and May for scenic rambles and wine tastings.
And nature lovers and hikers may want to consider taking a leisurely stroll along Cornelian Bay in Tasmania, or a more challenging bushwalk in the remote Southwest National Park under blue skies.
March and April are identified as the best period to undertake walking tours when fall foliage begins to change the landscape and temperatures are a comfortable 10C to 16C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Killer moves! Lauren Gottlieb headstands like a pro—See pic
- Here's what Mangeshkar sisters have to say about Tanmay Bhat's controversial video!
- Play this quiz to know if your are really that smart!
- Oh Bond! Daniel Craig to work with THIS Bollywood director?
- Shocking! Here's the 'strange' connection between Salman Khan’s 'Sultan' and Aamir Khan’s 'Dangal'!
- Video alert! ‘Cute’ Gujarat Lions - Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina and team- welcome you to Gujarat
- Bhedaghat in Madhya Pradesh has all the essentials to spellbind you – See Pics
- Deccan India has its own ‘Taj’ and it’s called Bibi-Ka-Maqbara – See pics
- These globetrotting stars will give you serious travel goals – View pics
- Check out: 6 beauteous beaches in Odisha you didn't know much about!
- As Sushma assures safety to African nationals, CM Laxmikant Parsekar says Goans annoyed with Nigerians
- Delhi University (DU) admissions: No queues this year, thanks to online process - From website to fee to cut-off, know everything here
- Fire tragedy at Army ammunition depot in Maharashtra's Pulgaon: Death toll rises to 18