Trekking in the night, sleeping in caves spells weekend adventure
Trekking in the night. Image Courtesy: Bertram Fonseca
Could an acoustic band performance in a cave and spending a night in the great outdoors be your idea of adventure?
The weekend I had been waiting for finally arrived. It was time for Crooners of the Night— a trek to Thanale Caves with Travel Master Gogo. An amateur trekker and camper, I was more than enthusiastic about this one. Not only was it my first night trek, but there was an acoustic band performance, planned high in the mountains.
On reaching Thanale village, in Sudhagad near Pali, the wheels in my head started turning— How is my little bod going to carry this big bag all the way to the top? What if I roll down? Will someone have to carry me back? Will I have cuts and scars? But the heart ruled over the head. Finally, an opportunity to camp!
Before we set off on our trek, we enjoyed a simple and delicious dinner at one of the locals` home. Armed with our flashlights, the mission began at 9.30 pm to get to the caves (1,200 feet), which are some of the oldest in India, dating back to the first century B.C. Spotting fireflies, scorpions, ant-hills and wild saffron by the glow of our torches, through the pitch black forests we traipsed on flat and uneven terrain, sometimes a one-foot-at-a-time path and at other times wading through knee-deep streams. The only sounds accompanying us were— gushing water that we couldn`t see, crickets chirping and our local guides calling out to one another, keeping us together.
Dancing the Night Away: Image Courtesy: Avril-Ann Braganza
Finally our mission was accomplished at 1 am. The downpour made the narrow and slippery path to the main cave, unsafe. With a steep drop below, we climbed across the cave partitions to our cave. A quick change into dry clothes and we settled down around our three piece acoustic band; Kunal on guitar, Alok on flutes and pianika and Nelson on the hand drum. A few popular English and Hindi songs later, we danced the night away around a kerosene lamp. At 5.30 am we were only seven of us still happily singing, oblivious to the other sleeping campers.
An acoustic band performance in a cave, high in the mountains: Image Courtesy: Avril-Ann Braganza
As the morning rays filtered into the cave, sleepy heads popped up and snores turned into stares, as we woke up to a stunning view of the green valley and dense forests around us. For a city slicker this was a refreshing change. Soon after breakfast of piping hot poha and black tea, we started our journey down only stopping at a waterfall for a dip. A few hours later, as we reached the end of our trek, the legs were sore but the heart was left longing for more. A quick lunch of bhakri and zunka at the villagers` home, and we were ready to say goodbye.
Travel Master Gogo organises Crooners of the Night every two months at different locations. For further details check www.facebook.com/TravelMasterGogo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Get beach ready with easy hairstyles
- Nothing better than to feed a child: Ranveer Singh
- On father's 70th birth anniversary, Riteish Deshmukh gets nostalgic
- It's a wrap for Akshay Kumar's 'Singh Is Bliing'
- Ashish Juneja to enter 'Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyar'
- Amitabh Bachchan credits audience for 'Piku' success
- Alia Bhatt praises Kangana Ranaut
- Jordin Sparks laughs off breast implant rumour
- Anil Kapoor is the coolest guy: Ranveer Singh
- Rose Byrne found moving to Los Angeles 'pretty hard'
- Kim Kardashian gets new wardrobe
- Top 5 destination wedding spots in the country!
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Make your hair holiday-ready
- Bling on smartly while travelling
- Top summer vacation spots in India
- Chandigarh's Coffee House remains crowd-puller despite competition
- Must-do in New York for spring season
- Visit the magnificent Kanheri caves in Mumbai
- Five fabulous things to do in Shimla
- Top 10 flavours of Asia
- Get set go with these enthralling adventure sports!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'