New Delhi: Unwinding and relaxing with your beloved after a week of hectic work can be a great way to make your Valentine's Day special, especially when the occasion falls on a Saturday this year!
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, couples have started to pre-book their holidays. While India offers a plethora of options to choose from, online travel site Expedia has offers for romantic escapes to hotels. Here are some suggestions of where you can travel to pamper yourself and your Valentine:
* Udaipur - Also known as Venice of the East and City of Lakes, a lovely land around the azure water lakes, hemmed in by the lush hills of the Aravalis, Udaipur has three interconnected lakes -- Fateh Sagar Lake, Lake Pichhola and Swaroop Sagar Lake. There are forts, palaces, temples, gardens, mountains and narrow lanes which make it a beautiful place at this time of the year to visit.
* Jaipur - The Pink City is among the most apt places to visit this Valentine's Day as it's one city where India's heritage melds seamlessly with urban life. The city is full of ancient palaces and havelis, some of which have been turned into luxurious hotels. Besides the ornate Hawa Mahal and Jal Mahal, you can check out the Amber Fort.
* Auli: Dotted with apple orchards, oaks and deodars, Auli is a popular hill station in the Himalayan range. The vibrant colours of the flowers can uplift your mood. The chilly February wind, along with the warmth of the sun, give a great feeling.
* Coorg: This clean and green place in Karnataka lies in the Western Ghats and is known for its coffee plantations. There are wildlife sanctuaries and a national park apart from the bamboo forests here that serve as star attractions.
* Ooty: Head for the 'Queen of Hill Stations' for this Valentine's Day. Lofty mountains, dense forest, scenic grasslands and miles of tea gardens greet the tourists here. A ride in the toy train in Ooty will surely make the day more special with your partner.
* Andaman: Pristine white sands, crystal clear blue water and uncrowded beaches, will help you design the perfect setting for your Valentine rendezvous. The islands have been shrouded in mystery for centuries because of their inaccessibility. They present a landscape of scenic and picturesque extravaganza.
* Lakshadweep: Comprising a string of 36 palm-covered, white sand-skirted coral islands 300 km off the coast of Kerala, Lakshadweep is as stunning as it is isolated. The real attraction of the islands lies under the water: the 4200 sq km of pristine archipelago lagoons, unspoiled coral reefs and warm waters, which are a magnet for travellers.
* Alleppey: Nothing spells romance like green forests, beautiful backwaters and traditional villages. Backwater cruises, night fishing in house boats and some of the best coastal food to entice your love.
* Kovalam: The place consists of three separated parts of the beaches, Hawah beach, Samudra beach and the Light House beach. The largest among these three beaches is the Lighthouse beach which is a must visit beach of Kovalam. The rhythmic sound of waves along with the cold breeze from Arabian Sea are mesmerising. The silvery white sand is just perfect for a long walk and the view from the Lighthouse beach of the sunset is breathtaking.
* Tarkali: A walk down the edge of the sparkling blue waters here is a beautiful experience. It also offers houseboat cruise on the Karli river and is one of the high points of the place. Activities like snorkelling or scuba diving or underwater swimming are available for adventure seeking couples. Don't forget to try some of the delectable sea food that Tarkali is famous for.
* Diveagar: Gentle wind, sun-kissed sands, calm and clean waters make the place appealing. The beach is a pleasant and clear water beach with the option of multiple water sports. The coconut cultivation that runs across the beach line makes it a lovely place to spend time around sunset with your partner. Bagmandala Beach is a clean and secluded beach near Srivardhan and one can enjoy playing on the white sand.
* Murud-janjira: Murud is an exotic weekend getaway located in Raigarh district of Maharashtra. It is an alluring spot owing to a long stretch of silvery sand and pervading lush green vegetation, majestic forts, exquisite beaches and lovely surroundings. Among the notable attractions is the island fort of Bassian which overlooks the Bassein beach.
* Amboli: A tranquil hill station on the Western Ghats, enclosed by dense forests and rolling terrain, Amboli is a fabulous romantic weekend getaway near Mumbai. This magnificent hill station offers breathtaking views of the valleys.