35 percent couples on vacation during I-Day weekend
New Delhi: 35% of working couples in metro cities are heading to nearby tourist spots during the upcoming Independence Day weekend, a survey revealed on Wednesday.
Conducted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham), the survey said about five lakh travellers in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore etc. are headed to the nearest hill stations or beaches with friends or family for a break.
"The weekend starting this Independence Day (Friday) gets extended up to Janmashtami Monday (Aug 18) and about 35% of working couples in metros have planned to make it an extended holiday and escape to the nearby tourist destinations," the survey said.
"With work schedules getting hectic by the day, working couples in India impatiently await weekends and are thus planning to make the most of this extended weekend," said Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat.
The commerce chamber interacted with about 500 working couples and tour and travel operators to gauge their mood and plans for the weekend in five cities - Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai - for the survey.
Popular destinations for Delhiites include Manali, Dharamsala, Shimla, Mathura, Rishikesh, while those in Mumbai and Ahmedabad are headed to Goa, Khandala, Lonavla, Mahabaleshwar, Mount Abu, Daman and Diu this weekend.
The favourite spots in east and south India are Darjeeling, Sunderbans, Tajpur, Tarapith and Chikmagalur, Coorg, Ooty and Wayanad.
Those with deep pockets are opting for international low-cost destinations like Thailand, Mauritius, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai, the survey added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- Travel diaries: Bipasha Basu, hubby Karan Singh Grover are now holidaying in Barcelona
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Taj Mahal one of 50 most beautiful places in Asia
- Good news for wildlife enthusiasts, nature lovers – IRCTC launches new semi luxury train Tiger Express
- Explore! Macau has much more than casinos to offer
- Maharashtra to seek UNESCO world heritage tag for Raigad Fort
- Travel-based web-series 'Nimrat' to capture beauty of Coorg