Agra gears up for Taj Mahotsava
Agra: After a long and cold winter, the Taj city is gearing up for its 10-day annual extravaganza - Taj Mahotsava - here which begins Feb 18.
The fun-filled event will be held at the Shilpgram complex here.
This year the Uttar Pradesh Tourism is making special efforts to draw in more tourists to the fair, hoping the negative effects of the economic slowdown would be neutralised to some extent this year.
Tourism officials said that a publicity campaign using posters, brochures and internet tools has been launched to publicise the event so that tourists could plan their itineraries accordingly.
Tourism industry leaders, however, say that "though the number of tourists... has been going up, the failure on the part of the organisers to attract foreign tourists calls for a thorough review of our strategies and efforts".
Former president of the Agra Hotels and Restaurants Association Sandeep Arora said, “It (the fair) should have its distinct personality and thrust areas.”
“I would like the organisers to focus on Mughal and Braj culture. The decor, stalls and the staff should be in ethnic wear. The tourist must get a glimpse of the splendour and opulence of the Mughal era,” he added.
The annual "mela" is being organised for the past 22 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Want to make your loved one's birthday special? Watch how to make handmade cards!
- Sidharth Malhotra, Katrina Kaif look super HOT in new 'Kala Chashma' stills! You will 'Baar Baar Dekho' it
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- This tourist handbook will come in handy for Indians travelling to Russia
- Ah, it's a World Heritage site! Check out which Indian places made it to the list
- Which social media channel is more popular among Indian travellers – Check out
- Iceland is world's 'safest' vacation spot – Here’s why
- Know what Delhi people desire the most when it comes to vacations