Agra gears up for Taj Mahotsava
Agra: After a long and cold winter, the Taj city is gearing up for its 10-day annual extravaganza - Taj Mahotsava - here which begins Feb 18.
The fun-filled event will be held at the Shilpgram complex here.
This year the Uttar Pradesh Tourism is making special efforts to draw in more tourists to the fair, hoping the negative effects of the economic slowdown would be neutralised to some extent this year.
Tourism officials said that a publicity campaign using posters, brochures and internet tools has been launched to publicise the event so that tourists could plan their itineraries accordingly.
Tourism industry leaders, however, say that "though the number of tourists... has been going up, the failure on the part of the organisers to attract foreign tourists calls for a thorough review of our strategies and efforts".
Former president of the Agra Hotels and Restaurants Association Sandeep Arora said, “It (the fair) should have its distinct personality and thrust areas.”
“I would like the organisers to focus on Mughal and Braj culture. The decor, stalls and the staff should be in ethnic wear. The tourist must get a glimpse of the splendour and opulence of the Mughal era,” he added.
The annual "mela" is being organised for the past 22 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- Have always been confident about my work: Richa Chadha
- Bored of saris, anarkalis on special occasions? Innovate
- Twitteratti want Captain America to turn 'gay'
- TIRUN announces maiden voyage of world's largest cruise ship
- Central team to inspect Lord Jagannath Temple's structural safety
- This Indian state has won the 'Best Family Destination' 2016 award
- Wow! IRCTC’s ‘Bharat Darshan’ packages for just Rs 830 - Bookings open
- Uttarakhand forest fire: What tourists must know