Lonely Planet`s guide to the best places to behold fall colours
USA: In just a few weeks and for a limited time, different parts of the Earth will enter the stage before winter when Mother Nature puts on one of her greatest shows: a fireworks display of orange, red, gold and brown.
From the winegrowing regions of France to the mystic mountains of China, editors at travel guide Lonely Planet have curated a list of the most stunning fall foliage destinations for lovers of the most melancholy and striking of the four seasons.
A train ride through northern Ontario takes visitors through “some of the most beautiful fall foliage on the planet,” says Lonely Planet. And that’s not just a travel guide talking. The area also inspired Canada’s prominent landscape artists Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven who immortalized the region on canvas in the early 20th century. Best time to go: end of September to beginning of October.
Loire Valley, France
Fall is perhaps one of the best times to visit the Loire Valley, when the vineyards turn shades of buttery yellows, burnt oranges and reds and the winemakers are busy with the fall harvest. Take in the view with a glass of wine, maybe at one of the many castles which dot the Loire River, the longest in France. Autumn will surely become your favorite season if it isn`t already.
Huangshan Mountain, China
Every year, Chinese tourists make a pilgrimage to Yellow Mountain where “wispy clouds” lend the forested mountain peaks an “ethereal” and exotic atmosphere, says Lonely Planet. Best time to visit: at sunrise.
Forest of Dean, England
When you’re not rooted to the ground tree-gazing at the ancient woodlands of Gloucestershire, the Forest of Dean also offers a variety of activities such as mountain biking, treetop zipwires, kayaking, and castles in the vicinity.
White Mountains, New Hampshire, USA
In addition to miles of hiking trails and scenic drives that take visitors over covered bridges, past historic sites, through picturesque towns and villages all against Technicolor foliage, the White Mountains area also boasts 100 waterfalls. Peak foliage typically occurs from the end of September through the second week of October.
Pic Courtesy: Wikipedia
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan becomes a showstopper at Manish Malhotra's birthday bash!
- Zaheer Khan and Sagarika Ghatge – Five photos of the rumoured couple
- Katrina Kaif presses for gender equality at UN Women event!
- Parineeti Chopra, Shraddha Kapoor turn black beauties and we can't stop gushing over it!
- ‘Voice of India’ season 2: This singer will leave judges spellbound – WATCH teaser
- Katrina Kaif flaunts traveller side, her latest pic will fill your day with wanderlust
- Indians are most adventurous travellers! These are the places they love visiting
- Bengal tourism: Government to announce new home stay, heritage tourism policy
- Mumbai ranked among world’s top trending destinations for 2017 – Here’s why
- Dear Indian tourists, Switzerland launches winter, summer campaigns