Rani ki Vav in Unesco heritage site list, PM hails move
New Delhi: Rani ki Vav (queen`s stepwell), in Gujarat`s Patan town, has been added to Unesco`s list of World Heritage sites, an official statement said Sunday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi welcomed the decision, calling it a "matter of great pride" for the state.
"Rani Ki Vav in Patan, Gujarat, has been added to the UNESCO World Heritage list! A matter of great pride for us. Next time you visit Gujarat, you must visit Rani Ki Vav, an excellent symbol of our great art and culture," he tweeted.
Rani ki Vav has been added to Unesco`s list of World Heritage sites, an culture ministry release said.
"Rani ki Vav has been approved for inscription on the World Heritage list," said the release, adding that the decision was taken by Unesco at the World Heritage Committee session currently on at Doha.
"Unesco has recognised this masterpiece as an exceptional example of technological development in utilizing ground water resources in a single component, water management system and it illustrates the exceptional capacity to break large spaces into smaller volumes following ideal aesthetic proportions," it added.
"The ancient stepwell was built in the 11th century and is an example of a unique Indian subterranean architectural structure. Its seven storeys of ornamented panels of sculptures and relief represent the height of the Maru-Gurjara style," said the release.
"Following the flooding and disappearance of the Saraswati river due to geotectonic changes, the property was buried under layers of silt for almost seven centuries and has been preserved underneath in an exceptional state of conservation by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)," the release added. The stepwell was nominated for the title by the ASI in February 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Spanish director Vicente Aranda dies at 88
- Know about Vidya Balan's 'Adhuri Kahani'
- Arpita- Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Ranveer missed Bhansali on 'Dil Dhadakne Do' sets
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- Akshay cosies up with Amy in 'Singh is Bliing'
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- I will be back in Nepal with my children: Susan Sarandon
- BB King's death to be investigated as murder
- Get beach ready with easy hairstyles
- London receives record foreign tourists in 2014
- Domestic tourists throng Goa beaches to beat sweltering heat
- Ranjit Sagar Dam to be developed as gateway to JK's tourism:CM
- Solo travellers: Research before packing your bag
- Himachal plans to rope in Kangna Ranaut to promote tourism
- Chinese CEO takes 6400 of staff on 4-day holiday to France
- Permission for shooting movies in Kashmir Valley to be given in 7 days
- Less room at the inn: Hotels in U.S. raise rates as travel picks up
- Royal Baby: Britain turns pink to mark princess' birth
- 90 percent of Kathmandu's heritage sites damaged
- Unesco team at Swayambhunath temple to prevent looting
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department