The best hotels in Europe are found in Turkey
A luxury hotel in Turkey which once housed sultans from the Ottoman empire has knocked Parisian landmark Hotel Le Bristol from its perch to be named the best hotel in Europe.
The Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul was named the leading hotel in Europe in Antalya, Turkey at the
World Travel Awards Europe last week, a gala event commonly referred to as the “Oscars of the travel industry.”
A former Imperial Ottoman palace, the property sits along the Bosphorus coast and harkens the grandeur of the era with ornate, Arabic and Middle Eastern decor, columns, arches, and lush tropical palm trees.
New this year, the hotel also added a poolside Moet & Chandon champagne bar over the summer for guests lounging by the heated infinity pool.
Rich dark wood paneled suites come with writing desks, a ‘pillow menu,’ and balconies in every room.
After maintaining a stronghold on the top spot for the last two consecutive years and four times before that, Hotel Le Bristol in Paris was knocked off its perch by the luxury Kempinski property, a spot traditionally occupied by either a Parisian or London landmark.
The Ciragan beat out Four Seasons properties in Paris, Milan, The Hotel Ritz Paris and The Dorchester in London in this year’s edition of the awards.
It’s not the first accolade for the Turkish hotel. Readers of Travel + Leisure magazine in the US also named it one of the best properties in Turkey this year.
It’s perhaps no coincidence that the gala ceremony, which celebrated its 20th anniversary this year, was held in Turkey as it was one of a handful of countries to dominate the awards. Industry experts also named the Mardan Palace Antalya the leading luxury hotel in Europe.
Sprawled across 180,000 square meters along the Mediterranean Sea, the Mardan Palace boasts theatrical Vegas-like water fountains and 546 sumptuously designed rooms and suites that evoke the Orient with contemporary decor. The hotel caters to a highbrow clientele withHermès toiletries and a 24-hour butler service.
Soaring ceilings, monumental crystal chandeliers, high arches, columns, rich dark wood banisters and winding staircases blanketed in red carpeting also characterize the luxury property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ed Sheeran may take year off
- Famed Detroit jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave dies at 78
- French immigration thriller bags Cannes Palme d'Or
- Rooney Mara, Emmanuelle Bercot share Cannes best actress award
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- London receives record foreign tourists in 2014
- Domestic tourists throng Goa beaches to beat sweltering heat
- Ranjit Sagar Dam to be developed as gateway to JK's tourism:CM
- Solo travellers: Research before packing your bag
- Himachal plans to rope in Kangna Ranaut to promote tourism
- Chinese CEO takes 6400 of staff on 4-day holiday to France
- Permission for shooting movies in Kashmir Valley to be given in 7 days
- Less room at the inn: Hotels in U.S. raise rates as travel picks up
- Royal Baby: Britain turns pink to mark princess' birth
- 90 percent of Kathmandu's heritage sites damaged
- Unesco team at Swayambhunath temple to prevent looting
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Lebanon's Hezbollah urges backing for fight against IS
- Mbose SSLC 10th Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 10th exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- Mbose HSSLC 12th Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 12th Arts exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25