Traditions, fairs, cultures should be preseved: Himachal CM
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Sunday said traditions, cultures, customs, fairs, and languages should be preserved.
He was participating in the traditional Bishu fair and said such fairs and festivals are closely associated with lives of the people in the state.
"We need to preserve such traditions, customs, cultures and languages for the coming generations," the chief minister said in Ghoond village in Chopal tehsil of Shimla district, 75 km from here.
He said the ancient temples should be preserved and maintained in the original architecture.
"Though I have been to this area many times, sometimes traversing on foot, I am happy to know all such areas have road connectivity," the octogenarian Virbhadra Singh said.
The chief minister said when Himachal came into existence as a state (April 15, 1948), there were 1,000 km of road and that too for small vehicles.
"Today there are 34,000 km of roads. Every village has electricity... there were just 400 to 500 schools and today (Sunday) there are 17,500 schools besides many colleges for providing better and quality education. These were mostly opened during the Congress regimes."
On widening of the World Bank-funded 80-km-long Theog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru road, the chief minister directed private firm C and C Constructions Ltd. to complete the work before the ensuing apple season or else face action.
The Rs.321-crore road project in Shimla district was awarded to C and C Constructions Ltd. last year.
At present, the road - the lifeline of Shimla`s prominent apple belt that carries annual business valued Rs.1,000 crore - is a motorist`s nightmare.
The chief minister inaugurated the Ghoond Kenchi-Pantha road at Ghoond village and also laid the foundation stone of lift water supply scheme that will be constructed at a cost of Rs.1.90 crore. This will benefit 26 habitations with a population of about 2,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top 5 reasons why relationships fail
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' kick starts well at the Box Office!
- A 'new Irrfan' to watch out for in 'Jazbaa': Sanjay Gupta
- Anupam Kher's health dilemmas
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' pooch to travel for promotions?
- 'Bombairiya' our ode to Mumbai: British-born producer
- Ryan Reynolds grants young fan's wish to meet Deadpool
- Vergara's former fiance to seek custody of embryos
- Stone, Garfield still have the 'sparks'
- Shabana Azmi went street shopping for 'Chalk n Duster'
- Would love to do a film based on chess: Aamir Khan
- London receives record foreign tourists in 2014
- Domestic tourists throng Goa beaches to beat sweltering heat
- Ranjit Sagar Dam to be developed as gateway to JK's tourism:CM
- Solo travellers: Research before packing your bag
- Himachal plans to rope in Kangna Ranaut to promote tourism
- Chinese CEO takes 6400 of staff on 4-day holiday to France
- Permission for shooting movies in Kashmir Valley to be given in 7 days
- Less room at the inn: Hotels in U.S. raise rates as travel picks up
- Royal Baby: Britain turns pink to mark princess' birth
- 90 percent of Kathmandu's heritage sites damaged
- Unesco team at Swayambhunath temple to prevent looting
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now