West Bengal planning PPP boost for tourism sector
Kolkata: In a policy shift, the West Bengal government has decided to build mega tourism projects by involving the private sector under the Public-Private Partnership model.
The state government has identified a number of sites for creating infrastructure with the help of private companies, which will not only help develop tourism but also boost the overall economy of the area, said West Bengal tourism minister Bratya Basu.
Employment generation in the targeted areas is also one of the motives for the government in going in for such projects, Basu said.
"We are no longer interested in developing tourism projects by spending from state government coffers alone. The state government is keen on investing in building critical infrastructure in all the identified sites," Basu said.
He said the state government would deal with the basic infrastructure like roads, electricity, drinking water, etc. in the targeted areas to attract investment by private players for the construction of hotels, restaurants and other facilities on a PPP model.
Instead of viability gap funding (VGF), which is practised in many states, the West Bengal government will be investing on creation of "critical infrastructure" to lure private investors, he added.
Among some of the areas to be developed as tourism hubs on a priority basis are Gajoldoba, Jharkhali and the Western banks of the Hooghly.
The objective is to showcase the state in its entirety rather than with a focus on pockets like the Sunderbans, Darjeeling and Santiniketan.
With this end in view, the state government has identified over 200 acres of land at Gajoldoba in Jaipalguri, which is the gateway to the Dooars, to build a mega-tourism project, says Basu.
Over Rs 100 crore is lined up for investment in phases out of the state plan fund for infrastructure development on roads, power, drainage and water supply, he added.
The tourism department will itself be spending Rs 7 crore to set up tourist cottages and Rs 2 crore for building a youth hostel.
"Private companies will be invited to invest in setting up resorts and budget hotels and a hotel management institute at Gajoldoba soon," Basu said.
At Jharkhali in the South 24-Parganas district, work has started on an eco-tourism project spanning an area of nearly 100 acres. The state government has already spent around Rs 100 crore on building roads, power and drinking water facilities there.
"Infrastructural work has started and a tender for setting up budget and star category hotels has been finalised with a Letter Of Intent also having been issued. The foundation stone has been laid," Basu said.
He said that the government was also working on a master plan for the conservation of the colonial heritage on the western bank of the Hooghly river.
Over 100 heritage buildings have been identified for restoration by the government. The National Museum of Denmark has expressed interest in the conservation of a few of these structures.
Since the project involves a lot of investment, Basu said the state government would take up the conservation work in a phased manner.
The government is also planning to convert a few of these heritage structures into heritage hotels with the help of private investors, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Maggie Gyllenhaal rejected for a role as she's too old
- 'My Best Friend's Wedding' gets Chinese remake
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- 'Toy Story 4' to be a brand new chapter: John Lasseter
- Looking good allows better performance: Sunidhi on weight loss
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- A miniseries from "The Wire" creator set to start in August
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Andrea Riseborough to be female villain in 'The Crow' reboot?
- London receives record foreign tourists in 2014
- Domestic tourists throng Goa beaches to beat sweltering heat
- Ranjit Sagar Dam to be developed as gateway to JK's tourism:CM
- Solo travellers: Research before packing your bag
- Himachal plans to rope in Kangna Ranaut to promote tourism
- Chinese CEO takes 6400 of staff on 4-day holiday to France
- Permission for shooting movies in Kashmir Valley to be given in 7 days
- Less room at the inn: Hotels in U.S. raise rates as travel picks up
- Royal Baby: Britain turns pink to mark princess' birth
- 90 percent of Kathmandu's heritage sites damaged
- Unesco team at Swayambhunath temple to prevent looting
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'