Beat the winter blues with right diet
London: During winter people eat more and exercise less. So it is important to keep a check on the calorie intake to have a fit body. Expert suggest that food consisting of vitamin c and lighter meals can help.
“We tend to eat less fruit and vegetables in the winter months,” femalefirst.co.uk quoted renowned nutritionist Juliette Kellow as saying.
“Throughout the winter, it’s especially important for us to support a healthy immune system, the body’s natural mechanism to resist illnesses. Vitamin C, which is found in in citrus fruits, can help support a healthy immune system and has the added benefit of helping to reducing tiredness and fatigue,” added Kellow.
The expert also shared tips on how what to include in diet to beat the winter gloom:
* Consume recommended vitamin C levels daily: It’s a myth that large doses of vitamin C stop you from getting coughs and colds. But making sure you get enough nutrients in your diet, such as vitamin C, is important to help support your immune system not only in winter, but all year long.
* Fill your kitchen with sun-drenched foods: Nothing will remind you more of summer than filling your kitchen with ingredients that typically need lots of sunshine to grow.
* Make meals lighter: We tend to eat more in the colder months, particularly more carbohydrates. Our calorie intake also increases, making us more prone to weight gain. When the weather is cold and miserable, many of us fill up on carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods, whereas in the summer we’re far more likely to eat salads and fruit. Eating more like you would in the warmer weather will help to bring back that summer feeling.
* Eat more foods rich in the sunshine vitamin: Our bodies make vitamin D when skin is exposed to sunlight. In winter, when there’s less sun and the rays are much weaker, we make far less of this vitamin, which is key for maintaining the health of our bones, teeth, muscle function and immune system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- Have always been confident about my work: Richa Chadha
- Bored of saris, anarkalis on special occasions? Innovate
- Twitteratti want Captain America to turn 'gay'
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall