Don`t accuse films for promoting smoking, urges Vivek
Mumbai: On World No Tobacco Day Thursday, Actor Vivek Oberoi has urged people to stop accusing Bollywood for popularising smoking as he feels that films are a mirror to society and not vice-versa.
"What all will you stop? Rape scenes, terrorism in films? Then let`s make cartoons. It`s very difficult. I think it`s asking to strangle creativity. Because as you said, films are a mirror of the society. A mirror copies you, you should not copy the mirror," the 35-year-old said here Wednesday at a promotional event held for World No Tobacco Day.
"Films are an image of life, it borrows from life, let life not borrow from films. Let`s set an example," he added.
Meanwhile, when asked if he ever sets a condition of not smoking in a film before signing it, Vivek said: "I don`t set any such conditions. As an actor that`s not my right. The director, the script - it`s their decision."
"Yes, I try, I ask them if they can manage without this. If they say yes, like it has happened in some films, I was supposed to smoke and I said I`d rather not and if it`s possible please adjust it and some people adjust," he added.
Vivek has been associated with the Cancer Patient Aid Association for the past 10 years.
Every year May 31 is observed as World No Tobacco Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shah Rukh Khan in 'Raees' NEW POSTER will blow your mind!
- Katrina Kaif: Society fails to recognise marital rape as a crime; women must speak up!
- Jayalalithaa death: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute to the iconic leader
- Ranveer Singh was in 'Befikre' even before Aditya Chopra! Here's the truth
- Jayalalithaa death: Telugu stars mourn Amma's loss!
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall