London: Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth`s husband, was discharged from hospital today, four days after undergoing treatment for a blocked coronary artery.
Buckingham Palace said the 90-year-old Duke of Edinburgh will return to the Royal Family`s Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
Philip had been in Papworth Hospital since Friday when he had a coronary stent fitted after being admitted following chest pains.
Philip, who left by road and waved to reporters, missed the royal Christmas celebrations and had to skip yesterday`s traditional Boxing Day shoot, usually led by the Duke.
He sat upright and smiled broadly as he left the hospital.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "On departure, Prince Philip thanked the staff at Papworth for the excellent care he has received during his stay.
"He is very much looking forward to rejoining his family."
The BBC reported that the prince had been advised by doctors to rest.
The Queen has been briefed regularly on her husband`s condition.
Doctors had discovered a blocked artery and went ahead with a "minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting", which was declared a success.
Stenting involves inserting a tube called a stent into an artery, to improve blood flow.
He usually accompanies the 85-year-old monarch and in October, he travelled to Australia on a 11-day official visit to Perth, Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane.