Eating breakfast helps burn calories: Study
London: Breakfast is often said to be the most important meal of the day, yet many people are still shunning it in favour of fasting. But new research suggests that people who eat breakfast burn more calories and have tighter blood sugar control.
The University of Bath study examined the effect of daily breakfast compared to morning fasting on energy balance.
The research was conducted by splitting people into two groups, the “fasting” group and a “breakfast” group and studying them for six weeks. The “fasting” group consumed no calories until 12 p.m each day and the ‘breakfast’ group ate 700 calories before 11 a.m, reports contactmusic.com.
Those who ate breakfast experienced little impact on snacking or portion sizes or a change in their resting metabolism, contrary to popular belief.
However, they were likely to expend more energy, around 442 calories, by being active, mainly in the morning after eating.
James Betts of the University of Bath`s Department of Health was the principal investigator in the study, published in leading nutrition journal American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
“The main finding from our study is that people who eat breakfast burn more calories," said Betts.
“Most people would think this is because of reduced snacking and increased metabolic rate but actually this is due to moving around. They were more active during the period that they had eaten breakfast. People moved around if they had been fed and there are many benefits to being active."
As the day went on, those who ate breakfast experienced better blood sugar control compared to those who had fasted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Song out: 'Housefull 3' gang gives you a new party anthem in the form of 'Taang Uthake'! – Watch
- Priyanka Chopra won't refuse a good Bhojpuri film, says mother Madhu Chopra
- Whoa! Mukesh Khanna's 'Shaktimaan' to be back on Indian television?
- Treat your hardworking mom to hair care this summer!
- 'Kaabil' first look poster: Hrithik Roshan’s intense eyes precursor of a massive storm ahead!
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall