Eighty percent of Chinese students sleep deprived
Beijing: About 80 percent of primary and middle school students in China are not getting enough sleep, according to a report released Monday.
The study by the China Youth and Children Research Centre says the average sleeping time for elementary and middle school students was less than eight hours, even on weekends, Xinhua reported.
The study was based on reactions from more than 5,000 students in 10 provinces. It was conducted in 1999, 2005 and 2010.
"Heavy workload, poor study habits and long commuting times all contribute to the sleep shortage," said Deng Xiquan, a scholar with the research centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Emraan Hashmi takes up 'Fear vs Neerja' challenge!
- Can't take freedom of speech for granted; religion in politics is not healthy: Kamal Haasan
- Sunny Deol's fans give thumps up to 'Ghayal Once Again', mints Rs 14.85 cr!
- Henry Cavill flaunts new look for upcoming flick 'Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice'
- Second dialogue promo of 'Neerja' is here!
- By keeping your kitchen clean, you can stay slim - Here’s how
- Health benefits of drinking water on empty stomach – Watch video
- Worried about broken sleep? Know why you wake up at night - Watch video
- Winter 2015: Stock up cabinet with easy to make lip balms
- Here’s why you should not sit too much during the day