Healthy diet and exercise can help improve fatherhood chances
London: Men who take a healthy diet and take part in moderate exercise may have a better chance of fathering children, new studies have suggested.
According to the study conducted at the Harvard School of Public Health, researchers looked at what 188 students ate and drank and divided their diets into a “prudent” one characterised by high intake of fish, fruit, vegetables and pulses, and a “western” one full of pizza, red and processed meat, high energy drinks and snacks.
They found that those with the best diet had 11 percent more motile sperm that were better at swimming towards an egg than those with the least healthy eating habits.
“Motility is most important for couples who want to try to conceive naturally. A small increase could lead to a small increase in fertility,” the Telegraph quoted Audrey Gaskins, the lead researcher as saying.
According to another study conducted at Harvard, researchers analysed the diet of 99 men who were already attending a fertility clinic because they and their wives or girlfriends were unable to get pregnant.
They found that the consumption of Trans Fatty Acids - previously found in many fried fast food joints but now being phased out - was linked to sperm concentration.
According to the third study conducted at Yamaguchi University School of Medicine in Japan, researchers found that those who did moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, had better swimming sperm than both those who did little physical activity or those who did strenuous activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'American Idol' stint was my worst experience: Mariah Carey
- Mother's death made me a musician: Bono
- Keke Palmer joins 'Grease: Live'
- Veteran make-up artist Rick Baker retires
- When Shah Rukh Khan wasted an opportunity given by ‘Raees’ team
- Michael Jackson`s Neverland on sale for $100 million
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Check out: Chic album cover of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Check out: The spicy hindi poster of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- No plans to make 'Mickey Virus' prequel: Director
- Nawazuddin to play Pakistani journalist in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Didn't do '50 Shades' because of nudity: Emilia Clarke
- 'Jaws' returning to big screen for 40th Anniversary
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review: Troublesome twosome
- Kangana Ranaut, Shahid Kapoor to star in Vishal Bhardwaj's next?
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly