More men going under the knife to look good
Washington: Who said only women fret about their appearance and spend a mini-fortune on beauty treatments? Doctors say men too are increasingly resorting to cosmetic surgery to look and feel good.
Facelifts for men rose 14 percent in 2010 in the US compared to the previous year, while male liposuction increased seven percent. Men underwent more than 1.1 million cosmetic procedures, both minimally-invasive and surgical.
"Typically, people think of celebrities and high-profile men going under the knife," said Stephen Baker, member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
"And while that may be true, the typical male cosmetic surgery patient that I see is an average guy who wants to look as good as he feels. Most of my patients are `men`s men`, the kind of guy you might not think would have plastic surgery," he said.
One of Baker`s patients is an "average Joe" named Joe Marek. Joe recently underwent a facelift and eyelid surgery.
The 57-year old said: "I didn`t feel that old. I felt young. I was working out. I was pretty active and I wanted to look like I felt inside."
"The growth in cosmetic surgical procedures for men may be a product of our ageing baby boomers who are now ready to have plastic surgery," ASPS president Phillip Haeck said, according to an ASPS statement.
"Minimally-invasive procedures such as Botox and soft tissue fillers work to a point. However, as you age and gravity takes over, surgical procedures that lift the skin are necessary in order to show significant improvement," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- I still feel I have a lot more to do and achieve says, Jacqueline Fernandez
- Expectations soaring high! Beyonce gearing up to perform at 2016 MTV Video Music Awards?
- Salman Khan's 'Being SalMan: The Official Game' is out for you to 'Khelo'
- Arbaaz Khan feels he is more suited for second lead!
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall