More men going under the knife to look good
Washington: Who said only women fret about their appearance and spend a mini-fortune on beauty treatments? Doctors say men too are increasingly resorting to cosmetic surgery to look and feel good.
Facelifts for men rose 14 percent in 2010 in the US compared to the previous year, while male liposuction increased seven percent. Men underwent more than 1.1 million cosmetic procedures, both minimally-invasive and surgical.
"Typically, people think of celebrities and high-profile men going under the knife," said Stephen Baker, member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
"And while that may be true, the typical male cosmetic surgery patient that I see is an average guy who wants to look as good as he feels. Most of my patients are `men`s men`, the kind of guy you might not think would have plastic surgery," he said.
One of Baker`s patients is an "average Joe" named Joe Marek. Joe recently underwent a facelift and eyelid surgery.
The 57-year old said: "I didn`t feel that old. I felt young. I was working out. I was pretty active and I wanted to look like I felt inside."
"The growth in cosmetic surgical procedures for men may be a product of our ageing baby boomers who are now ready to have plastic surgery," ASPS president Phillip Haeck said, according to an ASPS statement.
"Minimally-invasive procedures such as Botox and soft tissue fillers work to a point. However, as you age and gravity takes over, surgical procedures that lift the skin are necessary in order to show significant improvement," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kanye West rants against Taylor Swift over lyric controversy
- Hannibal Buress joins 'Baywatch' movie cast!
- Ritesh Sidhwani quashes rumours 'Raees' being postponed
- 'Kapoor and Sons' actor Fawad Khan caught crooning and dancing in camera – Watch video
- Sixth 'Transformers' movie to be a Bumblebee spin-off
- Mindfulness meditation improves health - Here's how
- By keeping your kitchen clean, you can stay slim - Here’s how
- Health benefits of drinking water on empty stomach – Watch video
- Worried about broken sleep? Know why you wake up at night - Watch video
- Winter 2015: Stock up cabinet with easy to make lip balms