Six to nine hours of sound sleep a night linked to high quality of life, less depression
Washington: Getting six to nine hours of sleep a night is associated with higher ratings for quality of life and lower ratings for depression, according to a new study.
The results showed that people with ‘normal’ sleep duration of six to nine hours per night had higher self-reported scores for quality of life and lower scores for depression severity compared to short and long sleepers.
Among patients who reported having perfect health, there were a higher percentage of normal sleepers, who also had significantly lower scores for depression severity compared to short and long sleepers with perfect health.
“These results are important because they provide more information about the importance of getting enough sleep, which is usually six to nine hours per night,” said principal investigator Charles Bae, neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic Sleep Disorders Center in Ohio.
“People may already expect that their quality of life could be decreased when they do not get enough sleep, but they may not realize that sleeping too much can also have a negative impact,” he said.
Bae and colleagues analyzed data from 10,654 patient records, which were collected from January 2008 to May 2010.
“It was surprising to see that sleeping less than six hours and more than nine hours is associated with a similar decrease in quality of life and increase in depressive symptoms,” said Bae.
The findings were presented recently in Minneapolis, Minn., at SLEEP 2011, the 25th Anniversary Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Genelia D'Souza shared this really CUTE picture with son! Picture inside
- Ranveer Singh's 'Kala Chashma' moment with 'bae' Zoya Akhtar! See pics
- Shannen Doherty shares shaven head photos amid cancer battle
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall