Stay clear of vodka eyeballing or risk going blind, teens warned
Melbourne: Health experts in Australia have warned that the new fad of vodka eyeballing could rob teenagers of their sight.
The craze of pouring pure vodka straight into the eye has caught the attention of extreme drinkers due to a deluge of videos on YouTube highlighting the stunt as it promises fast-tracked intoxication.
Some Victorian teenagers have been reported to be experimenting the daring drinking stunt.
However, experts have warned that the practice will not make people drunk quicker and can cause devastating long-term damage to eyesight.
Dr Mark Medownick, the medical director of Medownick Laser Eye Clinic, Richmond, has slammed the practice as being “dangerous and stupid”.
“Vodka belongs in the mouth, not the eye,” the Herald Sun quoted Medownick as saying.
“Direct application of alcohol to the delicate tissues of the cornea can cause excruciating pain, burns and ulceration.
“The mechanism is very similar to welding flash burns, which everyone knows are very painful.
“It may even lead to temporary blindness until the corneal surface heals,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Never wrote open letter to PM about Dawood: Sunil Grover
- Have to be obsessive to play a character: Shah Rukh Khan
- Hrithik Roshan judges his films with first copy itself
- Honesty, sincerity behind 'Dangal' worked in its favour: Director Nitesh Tiwari
- Bollywood stars praise Yuvraj Singh's incredible century!
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall