Vitamin B can help beat memory loss and Alzheimer’s
London: A daily dose of Vitamin B can radically combat memory loss in old age and even help protect against Alzheimer’s disease, a new study has found.
More than 250 people took part in the study, at Oxford University, including people with mild cognitive impairment who were aged 70 years or older.
They were given vitamin B, found naturally in food such as beans, meat, wholegrains and bananas, or a placebo over a two-year period.
Taking the food supplement appeared to help maintain mental processes, such as planning, organising and recalling information.
The researchers found that people taking the pill had lower levels of a brain protein known to lead to a rise in the risk of dementia.
They found that it also slowed mental decline in older people who have slight problems with their memory.
The research suggests that dementia could be treated with a food supplement rather than by taking complicated medicines.
“The findings from these two reports should be of interest to clinicians,” the Daily Mail quoted Carrie Ruxton of the Health Supplements Information Service as telling the Daily Express.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 725: Sarla reveals the truth behind Pragya's fake pregnancy
- No clash between 'Kaabil' and 'Raees': Hrithik Roshan's thriller drama preponed
- 'Dear Zindagi' new track 'Love you Zindagi Club Mix' will give you serious partying goals! Watch the making
- 7 ways in which you can make your Grandparents feel important!
- Get set to meet Akshay Kumar aka Jolly in 'Jolly LLB 2'! Teaser poster OUT
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall