Wanda Sykes undergoes treatment for cancer
Los Angeles: Comedienne and ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ star Wanda Sykes tells Ellen DeGeneres on Monday`s ‘Ellen’ show that a decision earlier this year to have a breast reduction surgery may have saved her life.
Sykes tells DeGeneres that while lab work was being performed after her breast reduction, doctors discovered she had DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ), a stage zero cancer, which prompted her to opt for a bilateral mastectomy, or a double mastectomy, to head off any further development of the disease.
The procedure is the same surgery ‘Up All Night’ star Christina Applegate underwent in 2008 after being diagnosed with breast cancer and testing positive for BRCA, the "breast cancer gene."
"Do you want to wait and not be as fortunate when it comes back and it`s too late?" Sykes said.
"I was very, very lucky. I had the choice of, you can go back every three months and get it checked. Have a mammogram, MRI every three months just to see what it`s doing. But I`m not good at keeping on top of stuff. I`m sure I`m overdue for an oil change and a teeth cleaning already. I have a lot of breast cancer history on my mother`s side of the family, which I didn`t know about."
Sykes, who`s currently on a stand-up comedy tour and will perform at the New York Comedy Festival in November, joked to DeGeneres that she kept her cancer diagnosis hush hush -- the ‘Ellen’ show appearance,is the first time she`s discussed it publicly -- because she didn`t want to become the cancer "poster child."
"How many things could I have? I`m black, then lesbian," she joked. "I can`t be the poster child for everything! At least with the LGBT issues we get a parade, we get a float, it`s a party. I was real hesitant about doing this because, I hate walking. I got a lot of walks coming up!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anupam Kher to play politician in 'Welcome Back Gandhi'
- Zayn Malik deserves happiness: Rebecca Ferguson
- 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' crosses Rs 20 crore mark in India on opening day
- IMPPA ban on Pakistani actors has no relevance: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Karan Patel deletes his angry social media post against Pakistan – Know why
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall