Weight loss after surgery seen in patient`s family
New York: People who have weight loss surgery aren`t alone in slimming down after the procedure -- family members do so, too, a study in the Archives of Surgery shows.
Surgeons at Stanford University School of Medicine found that one year after a person had undergone surgery, obese family members had shed an average of eight pounds, dropping from 234 to 226.
"Obesity is really a family disease," said Dr. John Morton, the surgeon who led the study. "When you invest in the (weight loss surgery) patient, you not only get benefits for the surgery patient, but for the family as well."
Adult family members, limited to those living with the patient, also cut the number of alcoholic drinks they had from about 11 per month to just one and trimmed their waistlines about three inches.
Patients` kids didn`t lose weight, but Morton said they staved off expected weight gain. More kids also said they were on a diet after their parent`s surgery -- up from a quarter to half.
The findings are based on 35 patients who had gastric bypass surgery as well as 35 adult family members and 15 children.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about a third of U.S. adults are obese, increasing their risk of health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
While there are many ways to lose weight, surgery is the gold standard medical treatment for severe obesity.
More than 220,000 Americans had a weight loss operation in 2009, at a price of about $20,000 per patient, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
One study found seven percent of surgery patients experienced complications, but most were minor wound problems. Serious complications -- such as massive bleeding or kidney failure -- occurred in 2.6 percent of patients and were more common in bypass surgery than in the gastric banding procedure.
The new study is small and doesn`t prove that surgery helps family members lose weight. But it suggests that it might, just as being the partner of an obese person is linked to a higher risk of being heavy yourself, said Morton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kangana's midas touch: 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns` racing fast towards Rs 100 crore
- Amitabh Bachchan in trouble over 'poem', slapped Rs 1 crore notice
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Chris Pine in talks to play Steve Trevor in 'Wonder Woman'
- Liam Neeson most-liked celebrity endorser
- U2 tour manager Dennis Sheehan dies in LA hotel
- Subhash Ghai to receive IIFA Lifetime Achievement award 2015
- Tabu will bring whole new energy to 'Fitoor': Abhishek Kapoor
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in ITV drama
- 'PK' collects $7.03 mn in China
- I am a fan of Tom Hanks: Al Pacino
- Taylor Swift goes on dinner date with Calvin Harris
- Katy Perry, John Mayer dating again?
- Nicki Minaj's rapper beau says not ready for marriage yet
- Kris Jenner encourages Kendall to date Lewis Hamilton?
- Doubt Zayn and I will get married this summer: Perrie Edwards
- Paltrow, Chris Martin attend Memorial Day bash together
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- Katy Perry doesn't want to talk about ex-husband Russell Brand
- Lewis Hamilton, Gigi Hadid dating?
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt